VMware Cloud Community
Mrkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hyper-V on VMWare products?

Hello,

Is it possible to get Hyper-V working on products like VMware Workstation 6.03 or any other...? :smileyshocked:

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unfortunately you won't be able to get Hyper-V working in a VM at this time. In addition to running on x64 CPUs, Hyper-V does require direct access to the Intel VT or AMD-V CPU extensions which the VMware virtual CPU does not pass through to the VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

why Smiley Wink

seriously I have not even attempted to try it. have a go and report back.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unfortunately you won't be able to get Hyper-V working in a VM at this time. In addition to running on x64 CPUs, Hyper-V does require direct access to the Intel VT or AMD-V CPU extensions which the VMware virtual CPU does not pass through to the VM.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

oh well that scuppers that experiment then Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Mrkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks!

Hopefully it comes available some day. :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Interesting, i wonder how the ESX on WS works then?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX can run on a 32 bit processor and the virtual CPUs are serviced with either direct execution or binary translation. The virtual CPU for Workstation is able to provide that. But you could then only run a 32 bit VM on top of the ESX VM. You wouldn't be able to run a 64 bit VM on top of the ESX VM unless workstation could provide a virtual CPU with Intel-VT / AMD-V extensions.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESX 3.0.x works fine on WS6. it is ESX 3.5 that has issues under WS6. it will run and load but not run any guests.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
Mrkus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

..Yeah, seems little bit funny to use virtualization product to use virtualization product and continues, eh...

Personally I think that the best sollution using virtual machines in future could be product that does not need host operting system at all. Imagine product that is installed straight to harddisk. It starts first when fysical computer is booted up. Then you can graphically with mouse and keyboard maintain virtual machines. Even if the virtual macines are running you can operate with them and switch between them. (like switching desktop views, but now switching between virtual machines). If done well, it looks like you are not using any virtualization product at all when playing with macines. And when ever you want you can connect to this pc remotely and maintain like in hyper-v. Oh, millions of possibilities!

I deam that because I hate bootting up operating system and then start WMware application only to use virtual machines. Another reason is that if you boot operating system where wmware application is, it means that all another virtual machines are booted too. And last, this "host" operating system easily brokes in my hands.

I hope someone gets my point, sorry my bad english. Challenge to developers! :smileysilly: Only dreaming too, it is midnight here. :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds like ESX to me Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

JeOS is a step in that direction. It's still an OS to run for the application, but it is designed to be as thin as possible - http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/jeos. VMware Fusion and Workstation 6.5 (beta) have the Unity feature which makes your virtualized app look like it is running on the host OS.

0 Kudos
dtibet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi you should try Virtual Computers NxTop Engine; works exactly the way you described it is a true bare-metal hypervisor that you can build yours OS image as you wish..

0 Kudos
awliste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Read some interesting chatter on hypervisors embedded into processors recently.

That would be pretty cool. I'd like to see a hypervisor that lets me assemble my own machine; eg, "Let's see... I'd like a northbridge like this, a southbridge like this... some bus speed over here... some different buffer sizes here..."

That kind of granularity would be extremely interesting and very impressive.

- abe

Abe Lister

Just some guy that loves to virtualize

==============================

Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!

Integritas! Abe Lister Just some guy that loves to virtualize ============================== Ain't gonna lie. I like points. If what I'm saying is something useful to you, consider sliding me some points for it!
0 Kudos