VMware Cloud Community
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to run .ova file in vmware workstation 7

Hi Virtualization Gurus,

My customer has sent me one .ova file, exported from ESX 4.0. When I am trying to run the file using my VMWare Worstation 7.0, it says "The ova package name does not match with the name of the .ovf file inside it.". How to resolve this issue.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Bhim

0 Kudos
13 Replies
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In Workstation7 goto file menu , click on import/export......after that  conversion wizard..........next......source of conversion wizard............next select virtual applicaliances......... next ..................browse give the path of  ovf file folder.......

Thanks

Satish.P

Still if you have any Doubt , Ping me Satishchirala@gmail.

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Satish,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I did exactly the same steps but it says “The ova package name does not match the name of the .ovf file inside it”. Is there any way to unbundle the .ovf file and modify the file descriptor?

Thanks and Regards

Bhim

Systems Engineer

+91-080-41548839

Fax-+91-080-41548889

Mobile-9845431052

Wyse Technology Software Development India

Sigma Softek Park, 7, White field Main Road,

Gamma Tower(8th Floor),

Banglore-560 066 , INDIA

The Global Leader in Thin Computing

www.wyse.com

EarthSmart Computing™

www.wyse.com/green<blocked::http://www.wyse.com/green>;

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. We do not waive confidentiality by mistransmission. If you have received this communication in error, any use, dissemination, printing or copying is strictly prohibited; please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the sender immediately.

0 Kudos
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried with vmware standalone convertor?

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Satish,

Please see the attached logs.

Thanks and Regards

Bhim

Systems Engineer

+91-080-41548839

Fax-+91-080-41548889

Mobile-9845431052

Gamma Tower(8th Floor),

Banglore-560 066 , INDIA

www.wyse.com

EarthSmart Computing™

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential information. We do not waive confidentiality by mistransmission. If you have received this communication in error, any use, dissemination, printing or copying is strictly prohibited; please destroy all electronic and paper copies and notify the sender immediately.

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Satish,

No luck with vmwareconverter either. It does not support .ova file.

Thanks and Regards

Bhim

Systems Engineer

+91-080-41548839

Fax-+91-080-41548889

Mobile-9845431052

Gamma Tower(8th Floor),

Banglore-560 066 , INDIA

www.wyse.com

EarthSmart Computing™

0 Kudos
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this may be issue with partitioning  while converting vm  to ovf  file

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Satish,

I have downloaded the ovf tool and extracted .vmx nd .vmdk files from my .ovf and it ran.

Thanks and Regards

Bhim

Systems Engineer

+91-080-41548839

Fax-+91-080-41548889

Mobile-9845431052

Gamma Tower(8th Floor),

Banglore-560 066 , INDIA

www.wyse.com

EarthSmart Computing™

0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

filename.ova:

Unlike an OVF Package, an Open Virtual Appliance (OVA) package is an OVF  and VHD stored as a single file using the TAR format. It is the  distribution medium of a virtual appliance. The filename of an OVA is  the name of the OVF that was exported using the Project Kensho OVF Tool.  For example, if the OVF file name is foo.ovf, the OVA will be foo.ova  containing both the OVF and VHD file located in the OVF Package  directory.

Your log file:

[#5] [2011-01-06 12:13:45.237 'App' 6608 error] [ovfImportSource,262] The .ova file name does not match the .ovf file name in the OVA package

Anyway you downloaded OVF, so happy installing

Thanks,
Ganesh

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ganesh,

Many thanks. I could able to resolve the issue after downloading the ovf tool.

Thanks and Regards

Bhim

Systems Engineer

+91-080-41548839

Fax-+91-080-41548889

Mobile-9845431052

Gamma Tower(8th Floor),

Banglore-560 066 , INDIA

www.wyse.com

EarthSmart Computing™

0 Kudos
ahaboub
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have read your post regarding the ovf tool

i think i have the same problem, trying to import an ova file using vmware workstation, and getting the message "the ovf package name does not match the name of the ovf file inside"

i downloaded the ovf tool, but i dont know how to use it

please can you guide me?

thanks and regards,

Abed

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Abed,

If you can use VMWare workstation 9 then you would not face this problem. You can directly import your .ovf or .ova and run.

Bhim Raju

Product Technologist

Dell | Wyse, APAC.

office +91-80-41548839, mobile +91-9845431052

0 Kudos
ahaboub
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome. Thanks.

0 Kudos
bijolianabhi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You can use winrar/some other software to extract the files,  rename the *.ovf file and again re-zip it. Now you need to rename the bundle with ova. I did this and worked for me. 

--Regards, Abhinav
0 Kudos