VMware Cloud Community
jonathannelson
Contributor
Contributor

How to create a OVF file for fusion?

Hey.

I have some problems to create a OVF file with ovftools. The VMWare software I have is fusion under OSX but ovftool can't work on Mac. I installed that on my centos image and also windows image and then tried to convert by sharing the image folders. Surely, I modified the path in the vmx file to the shared folder.

After then, I ran the command but it reported that "it can't open the vmdk file" though the path is correct. So I doubt whether shared folder can work or not.

I want to know that whether I have to install a VMWare workstation or some else on the image first? Is that possible to directly convert fusion image to ova/ovf image? Any help appreciate. Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnatolyVilchins

Couple of links for you:

Exporting a virtual machine to an Open Virtualization Format (OVF) template fails

and

OVF Tool User Guide

iSCSI Software Support Department

http://www.starwindsoftware.com

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
jonathannelson
Contributor
Contributor

I figured out was the issue is and this is now working. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

Your welcome!

What was it, by the way?

iSCSI Software Support Department

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
jonathannelson
Contributor
Contributor

Had to delete the old VM and create again. This time I chose the option to copy the image (which takes more disk space). I then installed the VMware tools on the new VM and OVFTOOL for i386. I then typed: ovftool /mnt/hgfs/local/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/VM\ i386.vmwarevm/VM\ i386.vmx ~/Desktop/VM\ i386.ovf

It worked!

0 Kudos