VMware Cloud Community
MonsterMaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Hosted Virtual Machine

I'm considering making a major change to our webserver.

Currently it's on a $190/mo Planet box. Everybody I've ever dealt with has put their fingers into the machine and now it's so bollixed up no one can work on it anymore. Time for it to go and something else to take it's place.

There' mail, a www server (images, files, video, etc), FTP, a ecommerce site and a forum running on there now. All linux apps, currently RHE.

I'm thinking sherweb for mail and three virtual machiens for the rest, one for www and FTP, one for ecommerce and one for the forum. Then move DNS onto one of the dns services out there.

I use vmware server 1x in house for a few things, am not super experience on it, but I get by.

Questions:

1. Does this sound like a good plan? and do other companies do this kind of thing?

2. Which version of vmware should I be considering? or should I consider one of the 'other' virtualizers out there?

3. Could I get a few hosting services that are reliable and not silly expensive?

4. What are the pitfalls to doing something like this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

There some considerations before you fully manage and deploy your own web infrastructure using VI3.5/4.0. Does it worth to you to make all the changes just to accomodate your web environment? If it cost $190/month just to support what you need I would stay with it or even enhance the plan to higher solution around $500/month that still worth the money or switch providers. Here's why though:

1. You would have to invest new hardware servers to work with VMware ESX 3.5/4.0

2. You would have to spend more money on licensing costs and windows OS too

3. You would need someone knowledgeable with VMware to handle the environment (vmware administrator)

4. Power consumption at the data centers since you need all this server up 24/7.

5. Provide daily backup solutions to your web infrastructure.

6. Add more switch connections and HBA if required.

I would have that burden to my hosting providers and have a better sleep at night. But, if you have a need to run a lot of web servers and alot more infrastructures, then investing a virtualization data center is a key to $$$ savings (ROI). But how large is your environment and data center? I supposed you mentioned VMware Server 1.x which is low key product for home and test boxes. I don't know much about your environment to give you a precise solution and feedback.

However, you can always virtualize your web server using VMware Server 2.x, Workstation, ESX4i or vSphere 4.0 and it all depends on your requirements and budget and knowledge.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
MonsterMaxx
Contributor
Contributor

No intention of building my own virtualization center. Would only use hosted ones by some other RELIABLE source.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

I know several good hosting company with reasonable price for web purpose, you might want to do some research and comparision and just switch provider.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
MonsterMaxx
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe I'm not making my questions clear because you seem to be determined to give answers that aren't what I asked. I'm not trying to be rude, I'd just like to get some straight answers about virtual machines and hosting companies for virtual machines. The Planet is a fine service, I have no isses with them, but I do NOT want a dedicated machine anymore - been there done that for 10 years.

I want a Virtual machine, actually three virtual machines. I want to get away from dedicated machines.

This way each virtual machine can have it's own dedicated setups.

Each machine can have it's own developers and the changes one makes to the OS will not bollix another. Which happens, far too often.

With individual virtual machines if one goes down the whole system isn't down.

There's no need for any Microsoft OSs in here, it's all Linux.

Maybe I'm asking this in the wrong place or something.

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

1. Does this sound like a good plan? and do other companies do this kind of thing?

Yes, this is server consolidation and a lot of companies are doing it. It sounds like you need about 7 vms on one box.

What hardware are you planning on using it on?

it should have a least two cpus, 12 GB memory and enough storage to hold all your virtual disk files for the vms. With linux vms you may not even need that much memory or disk space. ( I'm obviously a windows guy)

2. Which version of vmware should I be considering?

With 64bit hardware, I would consider vShpere 4i

With 32bit hardware, I would consider ESX3.5i

or should I consider one of the 'other' virtualizers out there?

I wouldn't think so, but you should test them out yourself to see it they meet your requirements.

3. Could I get a few hosting services that are reliable and not silly expensive?

I will defer to other forum members as I no hosting providers exposure.

4. What are the pitfalls to doing something like this?

I can't think of any right now. Virtualization usually get me out of pitfalls. I think you will be alright - just test it first.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos