VMware Cloud Community
Daryll
Expert
Expert

Goodbye, VMTN

Hello all,

Starting this thread here since I can't find a more appropriate location for it...

Tomorrow is my final day in the employ of VMware, Inc. I'm relocating to an area where there's not a VMware office, and have decided to start a small business and try to make a go of it as an owner. Wish me luck!!

Over the last few years, it has been a distict pleasure acting as the forum main moderator and administrator. "Steering the brick", as it were, has never been more fun Smiley Happy

In those few years, I watched this user forum turn from small watering hole, to semi-popular advice site, and finally into the virtualization discussion center of the universe that it is today. A tremendous amount of behind the scenes work has been done along the way to keep the site going strong and keep the people happy, and I have a lot of people to thank for that. You all know who you are.

I'll make comment that my leaving will not change the way that this community is managed. VMware values what their users have to say, values free speech (within the constraints of the terms of use), and will continue to monitor and moderate this forum after I'm gone. A replacement community manager/administrator will be found, and life will go on. You guys ARE in good hands with VMware. While a replacement for me is found, there are a couple of forum users who will be helping do moderation and administration:

rdellimmagine

johntroyer

are the go-to guys for now. I'm sure that they'll chime in here and make comments if there are any management issues or questions going forward. When a replacement community manager is found, you'll most likely hear the news from them.

Finally, I'd like to thank a few individuals and small groups of people (some of which may never read this thread) for helping me along the way:

1) My co-workers who had a direct hand in making the forums a success. Michael, Scott, Julie, Jason, Stephen, Robert, John - you guys are the best and I'll miss you all.

2) The User Moderation crew. You guys know who you are. You'll never meet a nicer group of guys than the volunteer user mods that moderate the VMTN Forums. You are the guys who keep the forums going on a daily basis, and I'll never forget ya.

3) All of the people inside of VMware who helped me along the way - Kris, Challo, Kenon, Craig, Hans - I'll never forget those early days in support when we were loud and crazy and nobody wanted to sit in the office next to us Smiley Happy

It has been a REAL pleasure guys. I would not trade the last three years for anything. On to the next big adventure!!!!

-Daryll

0 Kudos
35 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal

Again, take care Daryll. It's been a pleasure to work with you and best of luck on the new company.

Cheers,

Kix

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

have a nice time - and good luck !

roland

0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Gud Luck Daryll.... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
e90
Contributor
Contributor

Goodbye and good luck ! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

You are going to be truly missed Daryll.

Best of luck to you with the new business. I wish you the best!

Jase

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Rob_Bohmann1
Expert
Expert

Daryll, Thanks for all you have done making these boards the best I have seen.

P.S. I got my shirt today! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
hugop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good luck with your endeavour into greener pastures!

Of course, keep your account here and still contribute to this ever growing community?

0 Kudos
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Daryll,

I just saw your post. Good luck with your venture!

Scott

0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert

Yeah Ditto, good luck. The forums are a great place. I bumped into Kix yesterday in Perth, and didn't even know it until he told me his forum name ... Smiley Happy

/kimono/
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

I bumped into Kix yesterday in Perth

With all the light reflecting off his head I would think you could avoid physical contact Smiley Wink

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

be nice ken, Smiley Happy

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

This is bad ken ...... very bad ...... Smiley Happy

BTW.... referring to the previous post of not recognizing people..... I would suggest that, for those going to VMworld, to register with the forum nickname instead of the real name (if it doesn't match). I must admit last year I bumped into someone that was acting as if he knew me forever and I was thinking ..... "who the hell is he?". The funny thing is that I am sure I knew him .... I just happened to not understand who he was ..... Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

This is bad ken ...... very bad ...... Smiley Happy

Kix is bald-by-choice, so I don't feel too bad about teasing him - but by all means, no offense meant.

BTW.... referring to the previous post of not

recognizing people..... I would suggest that, for

those going to VMworld, to register with the forum

nickname instead of the real name (if it doesn't

match).

I was hoping that the registration process would provide a space for VMTN user name. We made lots of requests last year for a way to recognize our brethern, I thought they might have taken the hint and provided space on the name tag for both your "real" name and your "virtual" name...we'll see.

I must admit last year I bumped into someone

that was acting as if he knew me forever and I was

thinking ..... "who the hell is he?". The funny thing

is that I am sure I knew him .... I just happened to

not understand who he was ..... Smiley Happy

Glad I'm not the only one Smiley Happy

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
sleavitt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dood!

Looks like I'm the first one to reply with the 3 boxes next to my forum username.

VMware hat off[/i]

I agree, we made waaay too much noise in Tech Support when there was just a handful of us. I'm glad to have helped take our Jive installation from a (virtual) startup to the full community "brick" (Borg cube?) we have now.

It benefits so many, thanks to all of you who "feed" and care for this community often.

quoting Chris Huss (Chuss):

You have a big family here so you're not alone in

this...all you need to do is ask.

That's part of the magic of this community and is so true, Daryll!

Good luck and let us know as soon as you have a Web site for your business! Have you thought of a name yet?

Enjoy your new digs!

Scott Leavitt

"Internet Admiral" wannabe

VMware hat on[/i]

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

I am Dyslexia of Borg. Prepare to have your arse laminated.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
CDRippe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Kix is partialy bald by choice. Have you seen the 1 week growth?

Tell me I'm wrong Tre' Moby!

Not that I have alot of room to talk Smiley Wink

C. D. Rippe

0 Kudos