LinuxChallenged
Contributor
Contributor

Gnubee Question Regarding Hardware and Getting Started

Gnubee here with some real basic questions:

1) Will player work properly on a dell 6400 lappie with 2G RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor? I am dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Mandriva 2008

on it now. I also run openSUSE 11.0 on a USB hard drive as well . All are working properly and I have no issues.

2) Is player the best way for me to get into virtualization? I realize there may be some hardware issues but I am not sure what my options are at this point.

Any insight , tips, etc, are greatly appreciated...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Hi, You can use VMware server to start off with..since you are new to virtualization, this will give you a peroper feel of virtualization. Vmware player is just a player which plays the already created VM's.

For the Hardware compatibilty, you can check http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/server_pubs.html

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct. Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

1) Will player work properly on a dell 6400 lappie with 2G RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor? I am dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Mandriva 2008

on it now. I also run openSUSE 11.0 on a USB hard drive as well . All are working properly and I have no issues.

Yes, but player does not allow you to create VMs, just run them.

2) Is player the best way for me to get into virtualization? I realize there may be some hardware issues but I am not sure what my options are at this point.

I would either start with Workstation (for fee) or VMware Server (heavier weight) for a start. Either will allow you to run other VMs within your laptop. I use VMware workstation for example.

One thing to be aware of, is that 2GBs of memory is often not enough to run more than 1-2 VM at a time without performance issues. If it was me I would installl Linux on the laptop. Install VMware Server on that, run Windows within a VM. THis way no need to reboot to reach your XP VM.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2022,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

1) Will player work properly on a dell 6400 lappie with 2G RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo processor? I am dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Mandriva 2008 on it now. I also run openSUSE 11.0 on a USB hard drive as well . All are working properly and I have no issues.

Yes. It will work just fine.

Player is a great way to get into virtualization. While others here promote Server as being the better alternative, I tend to disagree with that position. VMware Server installs as a Windows service / Linux daemon and really makes a LOT of configuration changes to your system. It also does not allow "direct" access to the display of your virtual machines. VMware Player, on the other hand, is really much more of "just an application" that is very easy to install and - while it does make a lot of changes to your system configuration - it's not as "invasive" as VMware Server.

Yes, it's true that VMware Player does not allow you to create new VMs - but that's not a big problem because there are several tools available that solve that problem. Check out EasyVMX and VMX Builder. There's also a whole raft of pre-built VMs that are available as downloadable virtual appliances for you to use...

Ken Cline

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos