VMware Cloud Community
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Exit Maintenance Mode

I turned off all the VM and put a host in Maintenance before shutting it down to do some maintenance. After turning the host back on, I noticed the I am unable to turn on any of the VMs and when I right clk. on the hos the maintenance mode option is missing from the commands. The power on option is als missing when I right clk. on a VM to turn it on. I have already reboted the host with no luck. Does anyone why this is happening.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
M_Drost
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a problem i get to (When I reboot the server). I can solve it this way:

Go to VMware License server tools.

The first tabs is “Service/License File”, make sure you are using “Configuration using services”

The second last tab is “Config Services” from “path to the license file” browse and point to the lic file and click on “Save Service”

Go to your windows services and first restart VMware License Server and then VMware VirtualCenter Server.

go back to your LMTOOLS and select “Start/Stop/Reread” tab, click on “Reread License File”.

Once the file is successfully read then please login to your VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0, click on Admin and Licenses and confirm your licenses.

If the licenses are incorrect, than go back to your LMTOOLS and under “Start/Stop/Reread” tab, click on “Stop Server”, “Start Server” and “Reread License File” and log back in to your client and confirm licenses.

This solution may help but i also found out the sometimes it does not!

I have send a mail to support they also came with tis solution. Sometime you also must disconnect your ESX server with in virtual center en connect it again note that you must have the root account of the server.

Option: Within the lic file remove al unnecessary comment and #

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
alanwe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which VM product?

Your box might have been updated the kernel and VM services are no longer running. In such a case, try running vmware-config.pl to regenerate kernel modules.

Message was edited by:

alanwe

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. ESX3.0. I disconnected and the re-connect ant that seemed to work. No I am gtting "not enough license to perform operation"

0 Kudos
M_Drost
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is a problem i get to (When I reboot the server). I can solve it this way:

Go to VMware License server tools.

The first tabs is “Service/License File”, make sure you are using “Configuration using services”

The second last tab is “Config Services” from “path to the license file” browse and point to the lic file and click on “Save Service”

Go to your windows services and first restart VMware License Server and then VMware VirtualCenter Server.

go back to your LMTOOLS and select “Start/Stop/Reread” tab, click on “Reread License File”.

Once the file is successfully read then please login to your VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0, click on Admin and Licenses and confirm your licenses.

If the licenses are incorrect, than go back to your LMTOOLS and under “Start/Stop/Reread” tab, click on “Stop Server”, “Start Server” and “Reread License File” and log back in to your client and confirm licenses.

This solution may help but i also found out the sometimes it does not!

I have send a mail to support they also came with tis solution. Sometime you also must disconnect your ESX server with in virtual center en connect it again note that you must have the root account of the server.

Option: Within the lic file remove al unnecessary comment and #

0 Kudos
narkuma
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have encountered the same problem today.

I just shut down all VM Machines. Then I could exit maintenance mode.

0 Kudos
msalmon1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks you for your help on this. I verry much appreciate it.

0 Kudos
rboesiger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same Problem cannot go out of maintenance mode, all vm's are stopped, but my root user has read only rights!

what shlud i do!

Cannot start my vm's !

0 Kudos
minerat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I just ran into the same problem; disconnecting & reconnecting brought back the exit maintenance mode option.

0 Kudos
TitanFan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you not have another host to Vmotion the VMs too? Just curious.

Message was edited by:

TitanFan

0 Kudos
jdisnard
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I solved this by restarting the following services in /etc/init.d

vmware-vmkauthd

vmware-vpxa

mgmt-vmware

Then in the VC box I restarted the virtual center service.

That last step may not be required.

0 Kudos
aleneves
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dan,

I have a similar problem. In my license file I can´t see the Virtual Center license line. In contact with the VMWARE Support, we stats that line was missing. They Re-send my license file and the problem of licence was done.

About Maintenance Mode, when I connect in VC remotelly from some stations on my network, this option do not appear. Try to connect in your own VC Server and see if this problem is the same there. I don´t yet reach a solution for this.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Utchait
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me on ESX3.02 and I did have to restart VC.

0 Kudos