VMware Cloud Community
RAlltuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Equallogic PS5000 - How many LUNS

We just purchased a Dell Equallogic PS5000XV to connect to our VM environment. We will only be connecting ESX hosts (3 of them) to the Equallogic. The VM hosts will be using local storage for ESX but all the VMs running on the hosts will be getting their storage via the Equallogic.

The question is: how many LUNs should we configure on the PS5000XV? What determines how many LUNs are needed?

Thanks for any and all information.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

'tuck,

>>Do we need to have another LUN for (equallogic) server snapshots?

No. When you create a volume on your Equallogic SAN it will by default reserve the same amount of space again for Snapshots. You can at any time increase or decrease this reserved space. Should you consume this reserved space the default action is to delete the oldest snapshot.

>>Can you initially define 1 LUN with a limited amount of space (say 1.5 TB) and then expand it out later if needed, and add additional LUNs when needed?

Yes, but you might not want to do this. Yes you can create a volume of 1.5TB, and later increase it size, but it's new size will not automatically be recognized by the OS. Off hand I don't believe VMFS (VMware file system) will stretch to see the increased space at all, so your option here is to create a second volume and to make an extent and thereby creating one big volume. The downside of this is that should anything happen to any of the targets in a datastore made of extents ALL the data is lost. I am of the opinion that extents are bad - they do have there place, and there they should be kept.

However, lets say you know that in the future a particular target (LUN) will need to be bigger, but given that you only have 7TB of space you can't afford to provide it will all it needs. For example a fileshare, you know over time people are just going to store more and more, this is where you could present a volume of a large size, say 2TB, but it would only consume as much space as the data been stored required, as more data is written more space is required. This is referred to as thin provisioning, it is a double edged sword. If you over use thin provisioning by presenting every volume as thinly provisioned and therefore present 70TB of storage from your 7TB array, which you can do Smiley Happy but if you neglect to submit that purchase req in time to buy and rack the additional storage beyond 7TB before people start writing to it, you are going to cause your self some pain as OSes don't like been told they can't write no more!

Do take a step back and figure out your LUN layout, but don't over thing it, with Storage VMotion you can always relocate VMs. I would advise against creating one BIG volume and sticking all your VMs on it, rather I would stick with ~500GB volumes and spread them out. Do leave some slack space per volume for the use of VM snapshots.

>>Are LUNs assigned based upon disk drives, or storage, or both?

It is not clear to me what your question here is, please clarify, but to confuse the issue Equallogic arrays don't present LUNs, but presents targets, but I think from your perspective there isn't a difference.

You may want to pick up a copy of http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Infrastructure-Advanced-Technical-Operations/dp/0971151083

With regards to RAID setup, if you feel you've gotten it wrong you can always change it without loss of data, you can set it per LUN or let it default to what you choose for the entire array.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That really depends on the amount of storage space, the amount of VMs you're looking to put on the SAN, the size of the servers, and if you're going to do any RDM's. There is a semi-standard response of how many VM's per LUN but I forget that number. On our SAN, we adverage out about 13 VM's per lun, each LUN about 1.5TB. So go smaller some go bigger, it really depends on what you need.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
RAlltuck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Kyle...

Thanks for the info. You have generated a lot of discussions with my co-workers.

We have 16 450GB (15 k rpm) drives on the PS5000XV. Our current local storage ESX hosts are using about 1 TB of disk space (all Windows). We are running about 20 VMs total. In the next year our Novell file and print servers (about 1.5 TB) will be converted to Windows (virtualized with ESX and using the SAN).

I would think (with my extremely little knowledge on the subject) that we might have one LUN for our current VMs and have another one for our (future) Windows file and print servers.

Do we need to have another LUN for (equallogic) server snapshots?

Can you initially define 1 LUN with a limited amount of space (say 1.5 TB) and then expand it out later if needed, and add additional LUNs when needed?

Are LUNs assigned based upon disk drives, or storage, or both?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As much as I would like to tell you exactly what you should do in the end it really is what you feel you should do with the guidelines of best practices. I can tell you what we did which was we listed all of our servers based on how much space they took up and the intensity of the I/O we thought they would generate. From there we split obviously the #1 and the #2 servers on different LUNs and went down the line that way.

You say that you have 16 drives (450GB each), what are your thoughts on the RAID setup? As we don't use equallogic I wouldn't know about their snapshot feature or what is needed, maybe you can talk with a rep about it or another member on the boards can jump in. When it comes to LUNs once you set a LUN size I believe that is the size that is set. If you want to make changes or "expand" the LUN to add more storage you would need to destroy it and rebuild with the size desired, hence why the initial setup is so important.

LUNs are basically storage arrays. On your SAN you will carve up your storage arrays with the correct RAID level and then present them to your ESX hosts. From there you can tell the ESX host to use at storage array and give it a name.

Like I said a lot is just pre-planning, read all the documentation and best practice guides on the vmware website for SAN configurations etc...

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

'tuck,

>>Do we need to have another LUN for (equallogic) server snapshots?

No. When you create a volume on your Equallogic SAN it will by default reserve the same amount of space again for Snapshots. You can at any time increase or decrease this reserved space. Should you consume this reserved space the default action is to delete the oldest snapshot.

>>Can you initially define 1 LUN with a limited amount of space (say 1.5 TB) and then expand it out later if needed, and add additional LUNs when needed?

Yes, but you might not want to do this. Yes you can create a volume of 1.5TB, and later increase it size, but it's new size will not automatically be recognized by the OS. Off hand I don't believe VMFS (VMware file system) will stretch to see the increased space at all, so your option here is to create a second volume and to make an extent and thereby creating one big volume. The downside of this is that should anything happen to any of the targets in a datastore made of extents ALL the data is lost. I am of the opinion that extents are bad - they do have there place, and there they should be kept.

However, lets say you know that in the future a particular target (LUN) will need to be bigger, but given that you only have 7TB of space you can't afford to provide it will all it needs. For example a fileshare, you know over time people are just going to store more and more, this is where you could present a volume of a large size, say 2TB, but it would only consume as much space as the data been stored required, as more data is written more space is required. This is referred to as thin provisioning, it is a double edged sword. If you over use thin provisioning by presenting every volume as thinly provisioned and therefore present 70TB of storage from your 7TB array, which you can do Smiley Happy but if you neglect to submit that purchase req in time to buy and rack the additional storage beyond 7TB before people start writing to it, you are going to cause your self some pain as OSes don't like been told they can't write no more!

Do take a step back and figure out your LUN layout, but don't over thing it, with Storage VMotion you can always relocate VMs. I would advise against creating one BIG volume and sticking all your VMs on it, rather I would stick with ~500GB volumes and spread them out. Do leave some slack space per volume for the use of VM snapshots.

>>Are LUNs assigned based upon disk drives, or storage, or both?

It is not clear to me what your question here is, please clarify, but to confuse the issue Equallogic arrays don't present LUNs, but presents targets, but I think from your perspective there isn't a difference.

You may want to pick up a copy of http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Infrastructure-Advanced-Technical-Operations/dp/0971151083

With regards to RAID setup, if you feel you've gotten it wrong you can always change it without loss of data, you can set it per LUN or let it default to what you choose for the entire array.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
ssmith1034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Equallogic SAN does not use LUNS in the same sense as EMC and Other SANS. With Equallogic you are creating one big LUN out of the entire array next you create storage volumes on the array. In a reqular SAN you can select which disks you put into a LUN, this is not the case with Equallogic.

As far as the number of volumes you should start with, if you do not plan to boot the ESX Server from the SAN, I would say one for each ESX servers VMFS Datastore. So if you have 3 ESX servers start with 3 Volumes and add additionally volumes as you run out of space. It is also important to remember that each ESX host should be able to see all volumes you created to insure virtual machine portability.

0 Kudos
ssmith1034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You do not need to create another LUN for Equallogic Snapshots. When you create Volume on the SAN for an appication or other data you create a snap shot reserve. If you created a volume on the SAN that was 50GB it will ask you what percent of the space you would like to use for the snapshot reserve. If you select 100% it will alocate 50GB of space from the remaining resource pool from which the origional volume was created. If you selected 200% it would allocate 100GB. This is done for you automatically and has no impact on the volume you created.

0 Kudos
dmurdoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm in a similar boat. We're also purchasing a PS5000XV.

I've read a number of posts about VMWare having one I/O queue per LUN, and resulting issues, caused by SCSI reservations. I am wondering if it makes sense to set up one LUN (volume) per VM. Are there any downsides to this, other than overhead in managing the LUNs?

0 Kudos
ssmith1034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Start with one volume per ESX host depending on the number of VM's. Try to distribute the wok load based on machine type i.e. SQL Server , Web, or application server. Try not palce like machines on the same volume (diversify the workload). I have done several medium to large scale roll outs and I can tell you one volume per VM is over kill and will not make a big difference performance wise given the extra time and work you will have to put into it. You can always add additional volumes and redistribute the VM's with out much trouble. Also, depending on your NIC configuration you could have between 1 and 2 GB throughput per host.

0 Kudos
ssmith1034
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can not extend the SAN volume if it is being used as a VMFS datastore. The only thing you could do is create two volumes and join them with an extent in VMware. However, Vmware does not recomend this and actually discourages the practice. Best practice is to create a new VMFS volume and migrate vm's if you need to. The only other thing you can do is create the volume to the desired size move you VM's from the old volume to the new and delete the old one.

0 Kudos