VMware Cloud Community
Jeff5100
Contributor
Contributor

Emulating windows over ESXI

I was told that there was a way to install vSphere on a pc, then install a windows guest and use the pc like a windows machine. I called VMware about this but they didn't know of any such plugin. I have just started with VMware and really like it. I wanted to have a computer that the user could use as his normal windows computer but in fact have it be a guest OS. I hope this makes sense to someone. Any guidance would help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I think the best way to achieve this would be to create the guest OS under ESXi.  From there, the use can connect to the VM from his/her workstation  using RDP (windows) or SSH (Linux)

0 Kudos
Jeff5100
Contributor
Contributor

That is not what I was wanting. Someone told me that sounded like they new what they were talking about said that he did what I wanted to do. Which is to build a pc, load ESXi then a windows guest. Then give that same pc to a user to run "windows" on. I didn't think the ESXi os had the ability to use Terminal Services. Besides that I didn't want the user to log into the EXSi server. I hope that explains it better.

0 Kudos
etsahi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

what you need to do is to install vmware workstation on your pc

and then install esx as a virtual machine

in short follow http://www.vcritical.com/2009/05/vmware-esx-4-can-even-virtualize-itself/

0 Kudos