VMware Cloud Community
Msala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX3 +VM Backup Server+Tape FC

Hello ALL...

Is it possible to use this configuration?

ESX 3.0.1 with Windows 2003 Virtual machine , Using Legato Networker as my backup software installed on VIRTUAL MACHINE.

I want to use a Fibre channel Tape Drive ON THE VIRTUAL MACHINE. The HBA that I´m using IS on the compatibility list.

Could be my Windows 2003 virtual machine the Backup server? This VM should use the Fibre Channel Tape drive to make backups. The tape drive is directed attached to the HBA via Fibre channel.

I am NOT using a FC switch

It will work ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Currently, there is no support for HBA's inside of a VM. There is support coming for this in a future version, but you could not do this under 3.0.1. You would have to use a physical machine to take advantage of the HBA.

Thomas H. Bryant III

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kix1979
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Currently, there is no support for HBA's inside of a VM. There is support coming for this in a future version, but you could not do this under 3.0.1. You would have to use a physical machine to take advantage of the HBA.

Thomas H. Bryant III
0 Kudos
mecand
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not possible. The vm's can't use hba and esx don't directly support fc tapelibrary.

0 Kudos
sizarraga
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is possible only if you use a FC switch an use the correcto zoning in the switch. ESX can see the Tape as an SCSI device and you can add the tape to the VM adding this SCSI device

0 Kudos