VMware Cloud Community
sjuull
Contributor
Contributor

ESX lite

Just ran into this article

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1260992,00.html

This sounds pretty smart, getting the virtualization layer even thinner and closer to the hardware......

anyone that can confirm this rumor ?

0 Kudos
52 Replies
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have not heard about that rumour but sound interesting,

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

To me it seems like it would have to be a specialized hardware appliance in order to be truly effective.

Meaning, once it becomes "out dated" it has to be tossed, you wouldn't be able to re-use as a test windows box or linux box or something. While not a bad thing, its life span to justify the upfront cost would have to be pretty good.

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

I had heard rumors that they were working on this I just never had any idea they were taking it in that direction. Sounds interesting

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

To me it seems like it would have to be a specialized

hardware appliance in order to be truly effective.

Meaning, once it becomes "out dated" it has to be

tossed, you wouldn't be able to re-use as a test

windows box or linux box or something. While not a

bad thing, its life span to justify the upfront cost

would have to be pretty good.

The article says that it's going to be in the firmware of the MB. But I would hope that the firmware can be reflashed in order to upgrade the ESX part.

I see this like Cisco boxes. The firmware can be flashed but once they go EOL, what do you do with them? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

but once they go EOL, what do you do with them? Smiley Wink

eBay!![/b]

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Was at a conference with DELL as a sponsor this week.

They are bringing out a conventional unit sized "VM" machine its got an embedded hypervisor (not sure if this is completely true) more than average RAM Slots, and bolsters up on bus speeds and PCI speeds etc.

0 Kudos
Fedde
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They are bringing out a conventional unit sized "VM"

machine its got an embedded hypervisor (not sure if

this is completely true) more than average RAM Slots,

and bolsters up on bus speeds and PCI speeds etc.

According to our Dell rep it looks like this:

\- 2u size

\- 2 sockets for processors

\- 12 slots for RAM

(or was it 16 slots? sorry, don't remember, it was at least 12 slots)

\- 4 integrated Gb Nics

\- 4 slots for expansion cards

\- 2 slots for harddrives

\- integrated hypervisor wasn't mentioned at all

When it will be available was a bit uncertain, second half of 2007,

possibly august or september, but more likely october or november.

That's of course availability for us, we're located in Sweden.

Maybe it will be avilable earlier in the US?

/Fedde

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

- 12 slots for RAM

(or was it 16 slots? sorry, don't remember, it was at

least 12 slots)

I think it was 16 or maybe 32, since they support 256GB ram, and processors seem to be quad core AMD with NPT.

Lars

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well i wonder why they have chosen AMD Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
meistermn
Expert
Expert

Because of the integrated memory controller.

Intel will bring this in Q3/Q4 so they are coping AMD in the architecture.

Message was edited by:

meistermn

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I didnt want to state the obvious!

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

It does make for interest thinking, but what has changed to cause this?

A current install of ESX takes about 16GB, going on memory here, sure some of that is swap and drivers, low hanging fruit that can easily be removed.

But what else has been removed? Maybe they are just SAN booting, or PXE booting or is ESX Lite a very different product?

I think the bit of greatest impact is the removal of the hard drive, arguable the source of most failures in a server. It will be interesting to see the server hardware vendor response to this. A server with no spindles, or IDE/SCSI controller boards and therefore more space for memory.

On the Dell server my details date back to February time frame, the RAM spec was 128gb, if this is done with 4GB modules it means 32 memory slots, which is a lot of motherboard real estate. Of course they could go with memory daughter boards or similar, 8gb modules[/url], of course if they have tossed out the hard drives and controllers that they do have all that space Smiley Happy

Unfortunately VMware play their cards very close to their chest, so I doubt we'll get any official comment from them.

Message was edited by:

glynnd1

corrected link

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

/

• beginning of IBM mode */

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=590165

We have been trying to talk about the node state-less concept for "ever" .......... it's good that now all pieces are coming together.....

/* end of IBM mode */

Consider that this post has nothing to do with "ESX lite" (never heard this name and I am not even sure it's going to be it ... Smiley Wink ). But it is more of a common sense where instead of using 2 x standard legacy hard disk drives you would use another (better) I/O technology .....

Whether what you could load on these better devices is or is not a standard ESX instance as we know it today is another matter which I won't discuss ......

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
MIAMI_deVICE
Contributor
Contributor

I was on a VMware Symposia yesterday and was able to talk

with some guys from Dell.

They haven't heard the name ESX lite, but when I told them what ESX lite is all about, they said I shurely mean DELL ESX Aplliance.

They didn't know the actual status of the Project but confirmed that it deals with the idea of bringing the VMware Kernel to the BIOS.

They said the Project is scheduled to be lounched in Q12008.

Later in a Podium discussion, the representative of Dell was talking about something like "deploying some pieces of VMware to hardware in order to make it more secure".....

So there are for shure some plans for a "ESX lite"...

Jens

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Jens,

well it really depends on what one means by "BIOS".

I see this as a big opportuniy for marketing .... Smiley Wink On this pace they will tell you that ESX is going to be ported onto the silicon (which I am not ruling out as a concept for the long run ..... but Q108 seems to be a bit optimistic ..... Smiley Wink )

Massimo.

0 Kudos
ss1
Contributor
Contributor

just read this one

VESO, according to a large Dell customer who was briefed on the product, will be available in the second half of this year, and will have extended memory and I/O capabilities, simplified iSCSI boot functionality, physical-to-virtual (P2V) migration services, and an embedded hypervisor, most likely ESX Lite.

source:

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1263037,00.html

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

It is interesting we keep on cross referencing ........ Smiley Happy

>"They are bringing out a conventional unit sized "VM" machine," wrote

>daniel_uk in a post. "Its got an embedded hypervisor (not sure if this is

>completely true) more than average RAM slots, and bolsters up on bus

>speeds and PCI speeds etc."

This article backs its statements because of a post on this forum and we back statements referring to this article (which backed its statements from some other forum posts)..... Isn't this funny.

However I didn't want to argue about the features of the Dell servers ..... I just wanted to say that any lite version of ESX CANNOT fit into the BIOS.

That's a matter of fact.

Having this said I wouldn't take for granted everything that is written on the web ...... not referring to this article specifically but sometimes it's reale garbage....

Massimo.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Massimo

you are being particularly jaded to day Smiley Wink

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Yeah... yesterday was horrible .... Smiley Wink

Massimo.

0 Kudos