VMware Cloud Community
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.02 Issues

Ok so I decided to install ESX 3.02 on a IBM x3850 to get the ball rolling on testing and such...I moved a couple non-critical VM's on to it and BLAM! Purple debug screen. "VMWARE ESX SERVER \[RELEASEBUILD-52542]

EXCEPTION TYPE IN WORLD 1086:VMWARE-VMX 0X849821

Anybody else seen this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I have installed it on a 3850 (boot from SAN) but I haven't loaded yet any vm.....

Can you replicate the problem or it has just happened once ?

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been able to replicate it 3 times...appears to be an issue vmotioning from an x3850 to an x3950...never had any problems doing this on ESX3.01...

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

This is odd. These systems are supposed to use fully vmotion compatible cpu's ....

I suggest you open a ticket immediately for further investigation ... Being able to replicate it ... you are 90% done in terms of problem determination ..... the worst are those random that happens "once in a while" ....

Massimo.

VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok so it seems to have been a combination of a few issues. First, I had to boot to BIOS on my x3850 and x3950's and change the PCI-x mode to "mode1" on all PCI-x slots. Got this information from IBM-Known Issues. The other problem isn't with vmotioning between 38 & 3950's, but rather vmotioning between ESX3.01 & ESX3.02...When you dead-motion the VM's (you have to upgrade the virtual tools) the purple screen of death isn't a problem. Since figuring this out, I have moved a bunch of stuff and everything seems to be working fine. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

I didn't know about this mode1 problem ....

So, to recap, are you saying that moving a vm from a 3.0.1 host to a 3.0.2 host causes an ESX purple screen on the receiving host (3.0.2), and the problem was in the fact that the vm('s) being moved over did not have updated VMTools (3.0.2 level?) ? Once you have upgraded the vmtools in the vm('s) you could move them back and forth without any issue ?

Massimo.

0 Kudos
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the PSOD was because of my PCI-X mode2 speed issue (on HBA's and NIC's). Once I changed the PCI-X slots to mode1 the PSOD went away. Since then I have been able to vmotion VM's from 3.01 to 3.02 hosts (granted it gives you the CPU change/requirments message). Once they are vmotioned you definitely have to upgrade tools and boot.

0 Kudos
VMdawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wish I could get the points since I answered it myself.]:)

0 Kudos