VMware Cloud Community
rock_larson
Contributor
Contributor

Did anyone tried to resize the disk while doing a P2v?

Hi,

Did anyone tried to resize the disk while doing a P2V using a VMware Convertor?

I wanna do P2V a important win2k3 std R2 server and would like to know if anyone has tried this successfully. I basicaly want to reduce the 70 GB root disk to 30 GB (70 GB has 60 GB free space)

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

I have done this on an NT 4.0, Windows XP and 2003 VMWare Converter job without issue and is ideally recommended as most systems are going to have wayyyyy more free space then they'll ever need.

If the 70GB disk has 60 free, I'd drop it to even less then the 30 and go with something like 15 unless you know you'll need that 20GB eventually.

Monoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you will get better results if you post this in the Coverter forum.

I have successfully resized disks on some converted servers. However, I had at least two Win2K servers that did not like the disks being resized.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I had similar results as Monoman, except it was the W2k servers that resized correctly and the W2k3 servers that failed the resize. I also tend to have W2k3 servers fail to convert more often than W2k servers. I usually have more success with W2k3 servers if I install Converter on the machine to convert and run from there and also NOT resizing the drives.

0 Kudos
ktwebb68
Contributor
Contributor

P2V with a helper boot disk you should have no problems. With converter, well it's converter. So you have a dice role whether or not it will work correctly. More often than not it will however if you go to the converter forum you'll see many 97% failures and the like. As a Vmware product, at least in its current release, it's not impressive.

0 Kudos