VMware Cloud Community
Quinn
Contributor
Contributor

Devirtualize a VM

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if it is possible to "devirtualize" a VMware image if I should want to.

Let's say I have created a VM and installed my own software system on it. I then send this image to a potential customer and he reviews it and wants to buy it to install on a physical computer.

Is it then possible somehow to "devirtualize" the VM on to this computer or will I have to perform the install from scratch on the hardware?

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rschmidt1300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have converted virtual machines into physical machines a few times for various reasons. There are a number of products that let you do this. I used Symantec Livestate to do my V2P conversions and the process was fairly straight forward. There is also a product by PlateSpin called PowerConvert that will do V2P conversions that I have heard good things about.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Read the tech papers on V2P here http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/424

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

We are using PlateSpin for our P2V, V2P and P2P conversions. It is a great product. I can honestly highly recommend it.

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
dpomeroy
Champion
Champion

I would also say PlateSpin is great. I have mostly used it as a P2V tool but have done some V2P and even 1 P2P with it. VMware Converter still has a ways to go to catch up to PowerConvert, IMO.

0 Kudos
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how good is the platespin product? Does it covert P2V much better than Vmware's Converter? I have heard people have used P2V with converter and had alot of issues with the hal, left over services etc. So I would be interested in knowing if the platespin product handles alot of this.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

We use a tool called "Cristie CBMR" (http://www.cristie.com).

It is a desaster recovery tool (backup, not image based) where the restore can be done to different hardware in case of Windows. There is also a linux and Solaris version available (same look and feel where possible, makes a enterprise wide recovery documentation easier). At least for linux is a documentation available, how to recover this to different hardware.

The hardware independent recovery makes it a cool desaster recovery, p2p, p2v and v2p tool. You can save a lot of time and work, if you have to move from one hardware vendor to another one, for example. Take a backup and restore it wherever you want. No reinstallation, patching an configuration of your whole system is necessary. In the worst case you have to add some new NIC drivers and remove some management software.

Backups can be done during working ours because of the integrated OFM (NT, 2000) or VSS (2003 an newer). They can include the all data or just the system data (makes backups very short in time). You can save your backups to files on CIFS shares (Windows, Linux + Samba; in case of the linux version to CIFS and NFS), tapes, tape libraries or directly (via API) into TSM. Because of the batch processing capabilities it can be integrated into your standard backup very easily (pre-/post jobs). The restore can be done by using a linux or Windows PE recovery console (available on CD, USB stick, PXE).

For larger installations you can use a console for installation, configuration and log and status management.

Our experience showed that you can bring a W2K3 server back online (or migrate it) in about 20 minutes (only system and the standard backup client, no data). You can then choose to continue with the restore by using CBMR or your standard backup software.

Andreas Woithon

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander

If you want something REALLY smart then go talk with an EMC rep about HomeBase[/b].

They (EMC) recently bought IndigoStone and the HomeBase product, is all about P2P, P2V, V2P, etc, etc, etc, but a whole lot more than that too. It goes one step further than BMR... It even does restore to different hardware/ virtual hardware

We have even started using it to do VMware migrations. Works out cheaper than employing "bods" to come in a P2V stuff. Simply click source, target, schedule, and sit back Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Andy

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Looks like CDR to me?

0 Kudos