VMware Cloud Community
johanlbth
Contributor
Contributor

Create Top Infrastructure Documentation

Dear All,

The Cluster is working like a dream, 30 Virtual Machines singing and dancing!!!.(It’s been so successful that I now need to present the documentation in order to move 90 more physical servers to the Virtual World)

My client is not satisfied with the manuals; I need to create graphical illustrations with pretty pictures that represent our new Infrastructure. I have created an in-depth Infrastructure document in a word-style document representing all the IP’s and configurations.

But, in order to get a budget, I need to create a graphical document about the infrastructure.

Does any-one know where I can get pretty pictures and graphical illustrations? I have considered using Visio, but they will want more!!!!

Thanks

Johan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Have a mosey on over to www.xtravirt.com in the downloads section there are some excelent visio diagrams, they are costed but they are the best visio diagrams for Vmware out there., they also have a few example diagrams to give you an idea of how they can be used.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I use Veeam Reporter for documenting my client's ESX farms. You can document a whole virtual infrastructure in minutes!

Take a look.....

You can download a trial before you buy too.

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

In order to provide details Visio infrastructure, you should be familiar with your designs and layouts and use free vmware stencils and use Visio to diagram it exactly from your designs. Once fully diagram, you must submit along with scope of work and details instruction how to implemented and basic administration and management steps as well as knowledge transfer if needed. You will have full details of server configurations in .xls spreadsheet with finalize .pdf version of everything if possible. You can download visio stencil online for free as well but not good as Xtravirt has but doable. You can read first 3 chapters from Mike Laverick's new book has good design diagram and go from there, make sure your diagram shows ports, firewall and services in details.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos