VMware Cloud Community
niranjanw04
Contributor
Contributor

CiRBA as a capacity planning tool?

Hi All,

Can anyone help me understand advantages of cirba as compared to vmware capacity planner and platespin recon? First of all, has anyone of you ever used cirba for capacity planning? If someone can please highlight the major advantages of using cirba compared to the other tools it would be very helpful. If you feel there are more disadvantages of using cirba then can you please highlight those as well? This all information will be useful for me to prepare a comparison document and then make some decision accordingly!

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
IonCloud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi niranjanw04:

One of the advantages that I have experienced with PlateSpin Recon is that it integrates very well with another tool we use to execute our P2V migration (PlateSpin Migration).   Once we run the Capacity analysis with Recon, and after we have consulted with the Business Partnes and other stakeholders we can move to the implementation phase almost seamlessly.

Also, we have found that we can more easily define the potential target ESX hosts and their configuration more easily with Recon than with Vmware's tool.

That being said, we also had experience with CIRBA being a little more reponsive and attentive of a company.  Novell is rather massive and we are not a huge consultancy company.  As such, and as expected, we rate lower in their priorities.  So communication and bug fixes can take a little while.

Our VP customers have also liked the reports that we can generate out-of-the box wth CIRBA.  So, if your interest is to leverage these features to close deals and drive the message to the C-level key people, you might want to also have this tool.  We have both tools in or arsenal.  The fill different needs in our opinion.  Of course, and as always, your mileage may vary.  I'll let others discuss the merits of Vmware's Capacity Planner.  I have used it only limited times and do not want to misinform.

Good luck with your research.

0 Kudos