VMware Cloud Community
hiltonh69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot Manage ESX server

Hi,

I have a strange issue, I have a new install of esx 3.5 on a HP Blade BL20P G2 ( Bios version I04) , i am using a HP ProLiant BL p-Class GbE2 Interconnect Switch. I have created a VLAN for management and added 1 of the blades NIC's and the external fibre port going to the manement switch to the VLAN. From my management server i can ping the ESX host and have checked the the required ports are accessible ( there is no firewall in between). But when trying to add the server uning the infrustructure just the client or add it to my infrustucture server I get the message "the request failed because the remote server took too long to respond". It does however bring up the warning for the Cert first ad then gives that message a short time after. Service console settings are correct on on the right NIC. I also cant web brows to it, gives me the waring for cert in the browser and then times out.

ANy help would be great please!!!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We had a similar issue awhile back on our HP C7000 enclosure, it turned out to be a configuration problem in one of our switches in the rack. I'm not a networking guy, but you may want to go through your enclosure switches and check to see there are no configuration mismatches.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Can you do a basic ping to the ESX server?

I would just start by restarting the management services on the ESX server: "service mgmt-vmware restart".

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
hiltonh69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Duncan,

Yes i can ping, this issues is with both ESX servers we have on the HP blades. I have restarted the mgmt serveric, the host and rebuilt it from scratch but still the issue remains the same.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

typically that error is usually a network latency issue. Do you have you vCenter and is the license server installed on your vCenter Host as well. Make sure you can resolve the ESX Host from your vCenter/License Server. Check ping times, see if there are any latency issues.

0 Kudos
hiltonh69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Troy,

Yes i have VC and yes the licence sever is installed on it as well. I have 8 other ESX hosts connected fine ( Dell 2950 III) to the VC. When i ping there are no time outs or latency. Name resolution is working. Only the ESX servers on the blades are having the connection issues. Im also sure its a network issue but can seem to see what iit could be. Do you think is could be a configuration issue on the fibre switch? config is very basic. VLAN on the switch with the 2 NIC's that have the service console installed and the external port to my mgmt switch.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We had a similar issue awhile back on our HP C7000 enclosure, it turned out to be a configuration problem in one of our switches in the rack. I'm not a networking guy, but you may want to go through your enclosure switches and check to see there are no configuration mismatches.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with troy, it does sound like a latency issue. I would suggest you have one of the network guys looking into this....

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

emnleer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You might try logging in to the service console and try pinging the vCenter server. Maybe you can get traffic in but not out of the box.

0 Kudos