VMware Cloud Community
jfbaro
Contributor
Contributor

Can we do that with VMWare or any other virtualisation technology?

Hi,

We are 20 developers here all using development IDE´s such as Eclipse, Visual Studio and other tools like WebSphere, Jboss, Oracle, MySQL...all sort of stuff. Although these software are quite heavy we just use their power once in a while, most of the time we are just typing code or communicating with each other. Within that scenario I was wondering if we could have a U$ 40.000 server (or even better, a grid which could be scaled up as needed) and 20 monitors and slave NIC so that "all" the computing power would be in the servers... each user would still have his/her VM, but would use it remotely instead of locally. Bread and butter stuff.

The novelty here (at least for me) would be to have huge computing power just as we need it, mainly when compiling or doing other time consuming tasks. Chances are low that all the 20 users would be doing a compiling at the same time... so we would be optimising the computing resources and giving a much better response time to the user.

The way I know we could be doing that would involve setting figures to each VM, like 4GB of memory and such speed for a CPU, which is not great! What I would love to see is a way of using all the resources available in the server when I need to do some heavy weight task, like (again) compiling.

Is there any software which would allow us to do that?

Cheers

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DLeid
Expert
Expert

Hi jfbaro,

You could use VMware VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler.

check it out and see if it will meet your needs.

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

VDI?

http://www.vmware.com/products/view/

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

Your right, I thinking on the server end where he could use two esx servers with DRS and remote desktop to them.

but re-reading it does look like VDI is what he's looking for. Now I get where the 40.00 (US) pcs come from (as terminals).

If you find this or any other information helpful or correct, please consider awarding points.
0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Will VDI give tham access to ALL of the hosts processing power, or just a single core?

They may actually be better off with Windows TS.

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

The host will have virtual desktops configured for clients to connect to. The resources on the host is used to configure the virtual desktops. So they will have access to the resources allocated to the virtual desktops from the host.

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But if the host is a dual 3GHz Quad core with 64GBRAM, will overy instance of a D=VDI have access to all that processing power, or like a traditional VM, access only to the number of vCPUs and RAM configured for the VDI.

In other words, if I define my VDI to be a single vCPU w/2GB, will my "desktop" be limited to a single core 3GHZ CPU with 2GB, or will it be able to use all available resources of all 8 cores?

AAMOF, how does TS handle multithreading?

0 Kudos
DLeid
Expert
Expert

it will use the resources of the eight cores unless you set cpu affinity to some vms.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

No. Every VM will have access to one core at a time. It will not burst to multiple cores if you only provide them with 1 vCPU.

Duncan

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Then from my understanding of TS, and I may well be wrong, if the application supports it, TS will use multithreading amongst multiple core.

In the OPs' case, TS may be a better solution. darn.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You could also give each VM two vCPU's!

Duncan

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

0 Kudos