VMware Cloud Community
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor

Can I get my bonus features?? Hyper-V 2.0 is on way...

Guys,

Any chance that VMWare is going to give me some bonus enterprise features with ESXi??

From Virtualization.info news letter I found a good web link which shows a 5min video of Hyper-V 2.0 Live migration capability.... Even as an ESX Fanatic... I am really impressed with 2.0 stuff...

You guys also can visit the video on this link:

In future can I expect enterprise level free features in ESXi/ESX4.0???? May be VMWare can give these essential features (VMotion, DRS etc.) as UNSUPPORTED FREE FEATURES... & it will be supported if you pay for this.... like ESXi Support Model.

I think it will be a good model. I am not getting any reason why VMWARE is not taking it up?

Same thing happen to vCenter back end... still I have to convince my customer to purchase a MS SQL Server? Can't VMWARE have capability to get it ported to SELF SUPPORTED MY SQL COMMUNITY VERSION which can be embedded to vCenter architecture like Apache?

Hypervisor commoditization has been started & I don't know when VMWare can give SMB sector customers some free enterprise features? In this economic recession people are looking for more free stuffs & they are ready to sacrifice some advance features... I have already faced couple of customers in the same junction...

- Brajesh

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
bryan_n
Contributor
Contributor

I recommend you spend some time reading http://www.vcritical.com/ before you get too excited about Hyped-V... err Hyper-V I mean

0 Kudos
pintu27
Contributor
Contributor

Bryan: It is nothing about excitement... not even a single project I am using Hyper-v because lack of features and lot of other issues....

As a product Hyper-V is nothing infornt of ESX, even MS agrees to this. What I am trying to say in hypervison commoditization era... in a SMB of 50/100 people... how you will be suggesting ESX enterprise edition in comparison to Hyper-V 2.0 or Xen...

And we have to agree that Hyper-V is currently version 1 product but in course of time it will come up...

What you want me to read from www.vcritical.com, 1st page is showing couple of issue in products.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the Virtualization Technology & Industry forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

From Virtualization.info news letter I found a good web link which shows a 5min video of Hyper-V 2.0 Live migration capability.... Even as an ESX Fanatic... I am really impressed with 2.0 stuff...

I lost all interest in Hyper-V when our MS sales rep told me that their live migration was based on MS cluster services and that the VM's were configured as clustered applications so that when the host fails, the VM shuts down and automatically migrates to a different node. (yuk)

If this is still the case with version 2, I'm still not interested. Sure this is acceptable for unplanned outages, but the task of patching the host server should be straight forward and not require that the guests experience any downtime.

Jason D. Langdon

0 Kudos