VMware Cloud Community
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

Another VCP!

I just passed first time with 78% :smileyshocked:)

Now onto v3 with a view to doing that exam asap too!

Thanks to these forums for the informative and thought provoking posts...

Chris

0 Kudos
134 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Anyone looking to take the exam should be sure to look at the Certification Blueprint[/url]. This document shows you what areas are covered on the exam and gives you the information you need to focus your studies.

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

When the education guys find a study guide available, or a braindump they rewrite the test immediately. The best advice for preparing for the test is to study the material available, pay attention and ask a lot of questions in the training....and work with the products, work with the products and then work with the products.

I passed my VCP on VI3 infrastructure at VMworld this year, and my VCP on ESX 2 in December of 2004. Both exams are passable if you have experience, and that keeps the certification relevant.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
eharvill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took the test today and passed as well! It was a measly 70, but counts nonetheless. I only have a couple months of "soft" ESX 3.0x experience (and some 2.5x), but a fairly good understanding systems, networking, linux and SANs, which I think really helped me. I learn best by doing and have a tough time just sitting and reading tons of documentation so I fully expected to fail the test on my first go round. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. The wording of many questions were pretty tricky. I really wish it gave a summation at the end of what areas I need to work on. I would honestly be scared to take the test again because I think I would second guess a lot of questions that I "know" are correct.

0 Kudos
Paul_B1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Finally got my welcome kit today. Took the exam at the end of October. VCP #7122

0 Kudos
badazws6
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I passed the Test Friday with a 77. Overall I thought the test was much easier then the 2.5 test, but I'm not a command line guy. I took the "What's new" class and other then that I just did 2 real world installs...

0 Kudos
mdippold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I took the test also on Friday, together with a colleague. He passed with 90, I with 91. We are both working with ESX for years, attended the "what's new" course in september and did some test installs of VI3.

0 Kudos
neihn
Contributor
Contributor

Passed the test about 6 weeks ago, and got the welcome kit 2 weeks ago. However, it did not have any information regarding the free VMWare workstation (download URL or key). I sent vmware several emails to certification@vmware.com and ask about it, but got no reply. Hmm, I hope that it is not VMware's standard business operation.

BTW, did you folk get the free VMWare Workstation?

Thanks, Hien.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

See this thread[/url]

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Hoverand
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I took my VCP310 test yesterday afternoon and passed with 86 at first attempt...WOW!

Some questions looked a bit ambiguous, but 4 weeks of fulltime reading and re-reading ALL course materials, notes and pdfs, are enough to get rid of a lot of "nonsense" wrong answers... :smileygrin:

No "hands-on" experience, in my case -except for regular course labs.... I found, anyway, that many "real scenario" questions were simple rewording of "best practices" and "troubleshooting" examples in the manuals...

0 Kudos
alexgeorge26
Contributor
Contributor

Hi friend,

Iam planning to write vcp-310 exam, can u tell me where can i get study guide for vcp-310 ,pls help me in getting the studyguide its request

alex

0 Kudos
alexgeorge26
Contributor
Contributor

Hi friend

Thats great u cleared the exam,hope u cleared vcp-310, can u help me in getting study guide for vcp-310 as iam planned for appering the exam. i need ur help and suggestionin preparing the exam

Regards

ALEX

0 Kudos
geico
Contributor
Contributor

Completed the VCP 310 with 85%.

This was the most difficult exam i have taken for long time, (i have completed 7 Cisco exams and 1 Microsoft exam).As others have rightly pointed out this % does not reflect the number of correct answers.I had 70 Questions to be completed in 95 Minutes.

I would say 95% of the subject is from the course material and rest from the manuals.There were lot of ambiguous questions and so were the ones multiple correct answers.

No upgrade topics and esxcfg-* commands were tested.You got to have good memory of all the options in storage/networking screens. Also you have to know Host/VM/VC/LS HW/SW specifications by hart.I wish it would be more simulation based rather than having to cram all these features and numbers.

I feel there should be a another exam for advanced users like the guys who puts lot of effort in this forum.Plus although i managed to pass the exam i feel there are lot of stuff i still got to learn about the VI3.

I have only about 2 months production level experience in VI3 and took my class 3 months back.I am glad i made it as my VI3 class was a mess.Couple of gurus hijacked the class and i was not able to get much out of it as a total newbie but thats another story.

Any questions about the exam are welcome except for the actual exam questions.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Took and passed my VCP 2 test today.

Now doing the James Brown endzone dance.

Datto

PS: Get Up (I feel like booting a) Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
mmenne
Contributor
Contributor

Passed my test on Friday. I thought alot of the questions were poorly worded. Some of the questions could have been a bit clearer.

I hate "best answer" questions. I know they make you think, but they still get me.

Oh well, still passed.

Real world experience helped. Also having a more than surface level understanding of multiple areas (networking, SAN) also helped.

0 Kudos
hp_Bladefanatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Guys!

I did the VP310 Test yesterday and passed too (yeah Smiley Wink )

To pass this test experience with Storage Technologies, Access Control Rights, Resource Pool Scenarios etc will help Smiley Happy

I did not like the boot-from-SAN questions (I had 4 questions regarding that) , because I did not know anyone who is doing that in reality . . . .

regards

Michael

0 Kudos
RobMokkink
Expert
Expert

passed today with a 90.

Exam was easier then the 2.x. one.

I practiced a lot, had some vi3 projects and i have been reading the pdf's all december long.

And i asked a lot of questions on the vmtn forum.

0 Kudos
Resnovich
Contributor
Contributor

I passed on the 28th of Dec with a 91. IT was easier than I had thought since I have very little real work experience with VMware beyond a basic install. Alot of the questions I was asked seemed to be in the student material and some in my class notes. It helps to have a good instructor; Thanks John Tuffin!

I do have plans on installing VI3 on Dell blade servers using Silkworm 4100s and an EMC CX500 once i get the gear in the lab. I suppose this is the one instance when you would really use boot-from-san; because you are forced to.

I guess the welcome kit will be here when I get back from Okinawa in Feb.

0 Kudos
moondevil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello all, just completed my VP310 exam and passed. Upgrade from original VCP.

I agree with the previous posters in all respects except one. I liked the Boot-from-SAN questions. I must be the only person putting Bladecenters out into production environments with boot-from-SAN VI3 ;).

Definately need knowledge of all the Virtualcenter screens, roles and permissions etc.

0 Kudos
hp_Bladefanatic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Smiley Happy I think you "have to" boot from SAN, with no other choices Smiley Wink \~smiles~

0 Kudos
Mork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I'm happy to add to this thread that I also passed yesterday afternoon with a 90 Smiley Happy

Makes me a very happy chappy indeed!

Now I just have to wait for my welcome kit...

0 Kudos