VMware Cloud Community
Jusin_Kase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A question on ESX robustness

Hi all

I have a really stupid question (well two of them). On ESX box (V2.5 and V3). Will a defective CPU or a defective memory module cause the OS (ESX) to abend. We are using HP dl585 with 4 dual cores and 64 gb ram per box.

It could very well be that either part that goes defective (cpu or memory module) will cause the hardware to seize. Should this be the case, can someone confirm.

Also I understand that under VI2.5 if cpu 0 goes, then thats it the box is down, but what about if one of the other cpus goes down? Does the same thing also apply to VI3.

thanks

Jusin Kase

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rschmidt1300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

According to this document from RTFM Education any failed CPU will cause the entire server to abend.

www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/docs/vmwdocs/ESX2.5-Update.doc

When I talked to my VMware rep to come up with a server standard they recommended we use memory mirroring to protect against a failed memory module causing the ESX server to crash. This was under 2.5 but I would be willing to bet it would still have the same effect in VI3.

Rob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
rschmidt1300
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

According to this document from RTFM Education any failed CPU will cause the entire server to abend.

www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/docs/vmwdocs/ESX2.5-Update.doc

When I talked to my VMware rep to come up with a server standard they recommended we use memory mirroring to protect against a failed memory module causing the ESX server to crash. This was under 2.5 but I would be willing to bet it would still have the same effect in VI3.

Rob

0 Kudos
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I think your question applies universally to any operating system environment.

If a functional Operating System component is in memory on a failed stick or a running critical Operating System thread is on a CPU that goes kaput, thats it.

Jusin_Kase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys, very much appreciate the answers.

J

0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Interesting thought....has the VMkernel or will it lose connection through the virtualisation layer to a CPU?

Vmware course states any CPU failing will cause a PSOD due to the way it distributes CPU load for VM's.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

We had a DL-585 G1 running 35 VMs crash due to a failed CPU voltage regulator module.

Was not a pleasant experience.

Moving forward VI3's HA will help mitigate this issue.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I think your question applies universally to any

operating system environment.

Well, anything in the x86 space. There are systems ($$$$$) that can survive a CPU failure, but you won't be running VMware on them Smiley Happy

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

heres a bit of wishful thinking, IBM z Series, running an i386 64 bit emulation in each Lpar, which is running VMware ESX.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

And whos gona let you do that to test and fiddle with unless you work for Sungard Tom? Smiley Happy

I have seen a product that uses old DEC technology with physical Windows, apparently it dosnt support Virtualised platforms due to CPU operations being what it syncronises between hosts.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

nice wish Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Dan

It was just wishful thinking. Smiley Happy I'll just power up the IBM in the garage. lol

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

IBM z Series, running an i386 64 bit emulation in each Lpar, which is

>running VMware ESX

Yes ... and then you wake up all sweat all of a sudden ! Smiley Wink

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Massimo, have you no ambition :smileygrin:

0 Kudos