VMware Cloud Community
Ghell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A few ESX questions

I have a single server for a small business, so I am on a budget but need more than VMware Server. It's getting quite old now so at some point in the next few months I am going to replace it with a dual socket, quad core (Xeons) 2U server that has Intel Virtualisation on the CPUs (my current quad socket Irwindale does not).

Here are my questions:

• Does ESX allow 64 bit (x64 rather than IA64 obviously, I don't know if EM64T vs AMD64 makes a difference) guests? I currently run a 64bit Linux guest in VMware Server on a 64 bit Windows Server 2003 host but I have not seen any other hypervisors around that can run 64 bit guests.

• Is ESX 3i only integrated in hardware or can it be installed on existing hardware (providing it is compatible of course)?

• The how to buy page says that 3i requires a VirtualCenter Server agent but does not come with one. Is this a requirement, is it implied that the £3,200+ VirtualCentre Server already exists on the network? I was only looking at 3i as opposed to 3 in the first place due to the lower price tag. The fact that VirtualCenter Agent is the only thing that does not require VirtualCenter Server confused me further.

• Is the licence per X unit of time or permanent? For example, is "VMware Infrastructure Foundation for 2 processors + Gold (12x5) 1 Year Support" a one off fee of £816.20 or does more support need to be purchased each year even if it is not desired?

• How well does RAID work with ESX? Do guests need their own disks each or can I use one RAID 5 controller for all guests? The machine I was looking at has SAS PERC RAID 5. Is it possible to monitor this RAID for disk failure as the machine will be in a remote location?

• Do I need to run specific versions of guests such as specific Linux kernels (I plan on running both Windows and Linux guests)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have a single server for a small business, so I am on a budget but need more than VMware Server. It's getting quite old now so at some point in the next few months I am going to replace it with a dual socket, quad core (Xeons) 2U server that has Intel Virtualisation on the CPUs (my current quad socket Irwindale does not).

Here are my questions:

• Does ESX allow 64 bit (x64 rather than IA64 obviously, I don't know if EM64T vs AMD64 makes a difference) guests? I currently run a 64bit Linux guest in VMware Server on a 64 bit Windows Server 2003 host but I have not seen any other hypervisors around that can run 64 bit guests.

Yes ESX allows the running of 64 Bit guests, with the following proviso, the host must have a 64Bit CPU and if intel the BIOS must support the EM64T and VT Extensions. these must be enabled.

• Is ESX 3i only integrated in hardware or can it be installed on existing hardware (providing it is compatible of course)?

I would avoid 3i, you would be better of buying the foundation edition.

• The how to buy page says that 3i requires a VirtualCenter Server agent but does not come with one. Is this a requirement, is it implied that the £3,200+ VirtualCentre Server already exists on the network? I was only looking at 3i as opposed to 3 in the first place due to the lower price tag. The fact that VirtualCenter Agent is the only thing that does not require VirtualCenter Server confused me further.

if you want to any sort of meaningful management of V3i you need Virtual Center. I suggest that you get the Foundation Edition

• Is the licence per X unit of time or permanent? For example, is "VMware Infrastructure Foundation for 2 processors + Gold (12x5) 1 Year Support" a one off fee of £816.20 or does more support need to be purchased each year even if it is not desired?

the ESX license is perpetual, once purchased it is yours to keep, support must be purchased with the first year and does not need to be renewed, however if you do not you will be inelegable to upgrade.

• How well does RAID work with ESX? Do guests need their own disks each or can I use one RAID 5 controller for all guests? The machine I was looking at has SAS PERC RAID 5. Is it possible to monitor this RAID for disk failure as the machine will be in a remote location?

In your single machine you would most likely RAID 1 two disks for the OS and then RAID5 the remainder for the the VMFS partition. if you used HP kit you could Insight mangaer (Linux version) to monitor the disks.

• Do I need to run specific versions of guests such as specific Linux kernels (I plan on running both Windows and Linux guests)

No any of the Guests on the supported guest list will run, there is no requirement of a specific Linux kernel, Windows and Linux guest will co-exist without issue.

I hope this is some small way helps.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Here are my questions:

Yes ESX allows the running of 64 Bit guests, with the following proviso, the host must have a 64Bit CPU and if intel the BIOS must support the EM64T and VT Extensions. these must be enabled.

I would avoid 3i, you would be better of buying the foundation edition.

if you want to any sort of meaningful management of V3i you need Virtual Center. I suggest that you get the Foundation Edition

the ESX license is perpetual, once purchased it is yours to keep, support must be purchased with the first year and does not need to be renewed, however if you do not you will be inelegable to upgrade.

In your single machine you would most likely RAID 1 two disks for the OS and then RAID5 the remainder for the the VMFS partition. if you used HP kit you could Insight mangaer (Linux version) to monitor the disks.

No any of the Guests on the supported guest list will run, there is no requirement of a specific Linux kernel, Windows and Linux guest will co-exist without issue.

I hope this is some small way helps.

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Ghell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, that was incredibly helpful. I will purchase the Foundation Edition when the time comes.

I have two follow-up questions.

1. Where can I find information about upgrades? How often are they released, how much do they cost (for example an estimate of the upgrade fee from 3 to 4)

2. Where can I check the hardware requirements for ESX 3? I looked at ESX many years ago and ruled it out due to the incredibly strict hardware requirements but I can no longer seem to find the requirement list.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

1. Where can I find information about upgrades? How often are they released, how much do they cost (for example an estimate of the upgrade fee from 3 to 4)

As long as you have got a current support aggrement in place there should not be a cost, that is supposed to be one of the benifits of keeping your support.

2. Where can I check the hardware requirements for ESX 3? I looked at ESX many years ago and ruled it out due to the incredibly strict hardware requirements but I can no longer seem to find the requirement list.

All the compatibility guides can be found here. ESX still has a strict HCL but it is not a tied down now as it was under 2.5.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos