VMware Cloud Community
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

win2k3 mssql 2k vms with event id 333

i have several win2003 mssql 2000 vms that in recent weeks have a rife quantity of event id 333 in the sys logs

"An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry."

sadly we don't have event logs retain long enough to know exactly when this began. has anyone else seen this in a VM? all my physical db server of like config are good.

i've gone the google route. all options on google and experts-exchange have not yielded any solutions. also checked with the AV vendor (trend) to see if any issues are known with their product.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DrBeau
Contributor
Contributor

We've also seen this on some of our VMs, none of which are running SQL. Most of the VMs with this problem are on VMware Server. Only in the past week have we seen any (one) on our VI3.5 cluster with event id 333. Google doesn't seem to turn up anything of interest. The problem is intermittent and goes away after restarting the Guest.

A point of interest: our AV vendor is also Trend.

0 Kudos
marcus3
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem as well, any ideas?

0 Kudos
13erla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we couldn't ever pin point a resolution..

what we did find consistent is that we had issues with Trend and a memory leak that crashed all the vm servers with the evt 333 (prior to getting the evt333)

there was a fix that came out for trend end of 07 which is a manual hotfix install.

that resolved our VM memory leak crashes.. however the only option we had for the evt333 was to rebuild the DB servers.

while it does go away on some servers for a bit after reboot.. it's only a matter of time until the evt333 resurfaces.

we should about restoring the registry in case that was corrupt but all our effected vms were dev/shadow and thus had no backups.

sorry i don't have a solution (just more work to rebuild) Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
lmonaco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We're starting to see the same problem; it's not isolated to just SQL VM's.

0 Kudos
marcus3
Contributor
Contributor

After patchning our servers to latest patchlevel and after applying the info in vmware kb 1003638 to the servers it has disapear for a lot of them. except one of the servers running sybase.

/m

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also have this issue with our Win2k3 r2. It disappear when we reboot the VM but will come back sometimes later. Anyone still having this issue?

0 Kudos