VMware Cloud Community
coolguyadarsh
Contributor
Contributor

why doesn't host os pick ip from dhcp scope?

i have installed windows server 2003 as my guest os using vmware while windows service pack 2 is my host os, after installing the server i have added dhcp role and defined its scope from 192.168.10.1 to 192.168.10.5 with 192.168.10.3 to 192.168.10.4 as exclusion. dhcp status is active and i have restarted IT in service using services.msc, moreover firewall is disabled and both os are giving replies when typing the ping command from their cmd, the problem is that when i am trying to make host os (windows service pack 2) to pick automatically, it doesn't pick ip from the range defined in scope.

any help or suggestion?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Communities forums.  Do you have another DHCP server on that subnet?  Just so I understand correctly,  you want the host OS to pick up an IP address from the guest OS?

0 Kudos
DCjay
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To 2nd Dave' comment. You have mentioned host, Do you mean an VMware hypervisor?

Why on earther would you configure DHCP server for a herpervisor?

So many reason why you should use static IP.

Just imaginr configuring a domain controller with DHCP.

0 Kudos
coolguyadarsh
Contributor
Contributor

no, i have installed only one dhcp server on that subnet. yes , i want

my host OS to pick ip from guest OS

0 Kudos
coolguyadarsh
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, but i dont know what is a VMware hypervisor, i am a very new

user of this software, i am using static ip on my guest OS (Windows

Server 2003).

Is it necessary to configure a domain controller?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

A hypervisor is a software layer that provides virtualization services.  Are you using VMware Server or Workstation?  If the host OS is supposed to get an IP address from the DHCP server running on the guest OS, how is the host OS to network before the guest OS comes online.

No need for a domain controller.

0 Kudos
coolguyadarsh
Contributor
Contributor

i m using windows service pack 2 on host OS and on the same machine i have created a server 2k3 on guest os using VMware, both are running under workgroup environment.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried to manually renew the IP address?   I'm still a little unsure why you want to get an IP address for a VM.  What happens when the VM is not running?

0 Kudos
coolguyadarsh
Contributor
Contributor

i have already used ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew on host os and manually entered static ip on guest server. VM server is running but not distributing ip to host windows service pack 2.

i m doing it for my lab practice as i don't have two machines to make one as server and other as client.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

we need to know how exactly you have configured the VM - best way to show us is to attach the vmx-file
we also need to see a screenshot of Virtual network Editor

we further need the output of ipconfig /all from the guest and the host

for now we will assume that "host windows service pack 2" = 2003 sp2 ???

for now we also assume you have installed VMware  Workstation 7 on your 2003 sp2 computer ???

do you run any firewalls inside the guest or the host ?

0 Kudos