VMware Cloud Community
kelvin2010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is 00000x.vmdk files, can i delete it?

Hi All,

i have a VM running on ESXi 4.1 which is having below files beside the vmdk & vswp file. two snapshot were run sucessfully. can i delete both xxx-000001.vmdk & 000002.vmdk files to free up disk space?

xxx-000001.vmdk

xxx-000002.vmdk

xxx-snapshot4.vmsn

xxx-snapshot5.vmsn

i want to transfer this VM to amother ESXi 4.1 Host, am i right

1) power off VM

2) copy VM folder to new ESXi 4,1 datastore, delete all files inside the VM folder except vms & vmdk file

3) right click on the vmdk, add to inventory

Thanks & Regards,

Kelvin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As was posted don't manually delete those files, they are snapshot files. You would delete the snapshots from Snapshot Manager. If for some reason you don't see snapshots listed you can try adding a new snapshot and then Deleting All Snapshots.

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
piaroa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Make sure you "Delete All" or commit all snapshots before deleting any of those files. When you Edit Settings for the VM, you should see the virtual disk pointing to the base vmdk and there should be no other vmdk files on the VMs folder.

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!

If this post has been helpful/solved your issue, please mark the thread and award points as you see fit. Thanks!
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

i have a VM running on ESXi 4.1 which is having below files beside the vmdk & vswp file. two snapshot were run sucessfully. can i delete both xxx-000001.vmdk & 000002.vmdk files to free up disk space?

Never ever delete a vmdk file from the datastore If you do you will loose data.

The 00000x.vmdk files you see are the snapshots you took and the way VMware uses snapshots, you need ALL vmdk files for your VM to work. If you want to get rid of the files open the Snapshot Manager and delete the snapshots there, this will automatically commit the changes from the 00000x.vmdk files to the base disk and then delete the files when it is save to delete them.

i want to transfer this VM to amother ESXi 4.1 Host, am i right

1) power off VM

2) copy VM folder to new ESXi 4,1 datastore, delete all files inside the VM folder except vms & vmdk file

3) right click on the vmdk, add to inventory

I'd recommend you use the VMware Converter to do this. In case of a thin provisioned virtual disk, it will expand to the full size if you copy the VM the way you described. Also, the only files which you can safely delete are the log files!

André

EDIT:

In step three, it's the VMX file you need to right click..

petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As was posted don't manually delete those files, they are snapshot files. You would delete the snapshots from Snapshot Manager. If for some reason you don't see snapshots listed you can try adding a new snapshot and then Deleting All Snapshots.

www.phdvirtual.com, makers of PHD Virtual Backup for Vmware and Xen Server, formally esXpress

Mohammad1982
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As you want to delete the 00000.vmdk files which are obviously the snapshots and also you want to move this VM to the other ESX host. It would be better if you could clone the Vm to the other ESXi host. The cloning process automatically deletes the snapshots also you will not lose the data.

Please consider awarding points if you find this answer informative.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Mohammad Wasim
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the correct

0 Kudos