VMware Cloud Community
tripled2006
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation massively slowing down computer at startup

Hi all,

I am currently running the vmware workstation 5.5.3 on windows xp home edition. I am using it to run and access ubuntu linux which still in windows. After installing it and ubuntu, everything was working grand. However, I restarted my laptop (I needed to as I was after installing another application in which a restard was needed for certain changes to take effect) and when I logged into windows, I noticed my computer was operating at a much more slower speed. I could access everything on my computer, but when I then tried to access "network connections" folder in windows, the computer came to a near standstill for about 5 minutes. I pressed ctrl-alt-del -> task manager and ended alot of processes that began with "vm-----" (the virtual machine) and was then able to access my "network connections" folder.

Due to this, I am assuming that there is some sort of minumum conflict going on with my ethernet/wireless card.

I am wondering how I can stop the slowing down of my laptop everytime i startup windows. Any ideas?

Suggestion: dissabling certain processes when windows is starting up , maybe?

Please help.

Thank you to you all who read/replied to my query.

dan.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You know what...this happens to me too, I just haven't had the time or inclination to fix it (which is ironic considering I work on VMware projects all day every day!).

I would be interested in hearing about a fix too. I would look into it...but you know how it goes - plumber with leaking taps Smiley Happy

Dave

0 Kudos
davidbarclay
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

BTW: this should probably have been posted in the Workstation forum. A moderator will probably moive it for you.

Dave

0 Kudos
imacomputa
Contributor
Contributor

I also have this problem running VMWare Server on WinXP Pro SP2 - also running on a notebook. It is extremely annoying - so much so that I avoid restarting if at all possible, and just use hibernate unless I have not other choice. Any fix would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
jamessparrow
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, by blocking the digital tv tuner device registration application I get my Windows back to work at normal speed. However, there may be some other program that slows down your system so identify it as soon as possible. If you are using a free version of antivirus software, then disable that first and then verify if the issue gets resolved or not.

0 Kudos