VMware Cloud Community
gulster
Contributor
Contributor

vmware error "creating a quiesced snapshot failed because (user-supplied) custom pre-freeze script in the virtual machine exited with a non-zero return code"

When trying to create a backup of a vm that lives in a VI3 environment, I am receiving the following error from the vm when it tries to suspend the guest OS for the snapshot. I am using NetBackup to perform the backup and it appears to work fine until the suspend. Any help would be great, the error I get is posted below. Oh, and this is a Solaris 10 vm with tools installed.

vmware error "creating a quiesced snapshot failed because (user-supplied) custom pre-freeze script in the virtual machine exited with a non-zero return code"

0 Kudos
28 Replies
valot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi . I had the same issue when trying to clone a Virtual Machine (ESX 3.5 U3 and VC 2.5 U2). The migration to another host also resolve this issue. Tks a lot :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
marcosdarosa
Contributor
Contributor

My problem was resolved to migrate to another host machine virtal

Att

MArcos da Rosa

0 Kudos
tburger
Contributor
Contributor

Sehr geehrter Kunde, sehr geehrter Partner,

ich befinde mich bis einschließlich 16.03.2009 nicht im Büro und habe nur sporadisch Zugriff auf meine Emails. Ihre E-Mail wird nicht weitergeleitet. Bitte wenden sie sich in dringenden Fällen an das SHE Service-Desk unter support@she.net

Dear madam, Dear sir,

I'm not at the office until (including) 16-03-2009 with no access to e-mail. Your message will not be forwarded. In urgent cases please contact the SHE ServiceDesk at support@she.net.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

0 Kudos
davidenaut
Contributor
Contributor

In fact you must activate the VSS option in your vmware tools on your virtual machine

0 Kudos
jpe31
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip,

The "-Q 0" option works for me.

Why this option isn't listed when you try "vcbmounter /?" ?

i use VCB "Version 1.5.0 (build-102898)"

Thanks

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was actually doing HOT cloning when I got this error. I did reinstall the vm tool and that fix the problem

0 Kudos
drfitz
Contributor
Contributor

We had the same problem. Instead stopped the vmware tools on the host. This allowed us to complete the operation. Then started vmware tools afterwards.

0 Kudos
BWELSHCCI
Contributor
Contributor

Unistalling VMware Tools on the Virtual server solved this for me. Had tried rebooting the VM, restarting management services on ESX Host, and migrating to a different host with no luck.

thanks for the direction guys.

0 Kudos
jelutz77
Contributor
Contributor

I've found that I get the quiesce error when I have a virtual CD or floppy mounted. Un-mounting solves the issue in that case.

Some of the other solutions mentioned here would provide the same effect, such as un-installing or re-installing vmtools, since vmtools is the mechanism whereby mounting is done. Also, rebooting the guest would not un-mount, since that is a common use of a floppy or CD drive, and changing or rebooting the host would work if it's the host CD drive that is mounted with the virtual CD tool.

So it seems to me that everyone in this thread has fallen for this dumb little pitfall. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos