VMware Cloud Community
BSRKrishna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmtoolsd.exe

HI All,

I am running a VM with WIN2K8 R2 .  While running this VM vmtoold.exe taking 90% memory .

I treid to kill the process & re-installation of VMTOOLS . But issue not resolved.

Any solution for this issue .

Please find the error screen shot as an attachement .

Thanks & Regards,

BSR Krishna

Thanks & Regards, BSR Krishna If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

What VMware product are you using and what version is it?

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
BSRKrishna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi vmroyale,

Vsphere 4.1

ESX i  4.1

VM H/W ver -7

Guest OS -win2k8

Thanks & Regards,

BSR Krishna

Thanks & Regards, BSR Krishna If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Check out kb 1015674 - it is for CPU not memory, but the VMware Tools logging instructions there might help you identify what is going on.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
BSRKrishna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI ,

I tried it . No use . If any one have solution for this issue . Plz share it .

Thanks & Regards,

BSR Krishna

0 Kudos
RussellBelding
Contributor
Contributor

Until VMWare solves this problem of vmtoolsd running away with the CPU you could try what I am doing with  a Win 2000 VM.

(not your case but worth a try?)

Use procexp.exe from www.sysinternals.com

Put it on the VM and run it.

Find vmtoolsd.exe, right click and "suspend".

Do this each time your VM is powerd on.

HTH,

Russell

0 Kudos
nancy31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I never tried that solution before.  But, if the problem will also happen to me, then i will give it a try http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/1.gif

0 Kudos
RussellBelding
Contributor
Contributor

To be clearer ... I am using VMWare Workstation (7.1.4 build-385536) and a VM using Win2000 professional.  On power up the VM has vmtoolsd.exe running at 99%. This slows the VM. To make vmtoolsd.exe stop consuming the CPU I use Process Explorer from SysInternals ver 11.33 inside the VM

(the current version does not run on Win 2000).

Run procexp.

Find vmtoolsd.exe.

Right click and suspend vmtoolsd.exe. Then resume vmtoolsd.exe.

Do this twice.

Now vmtoolsd.exe is alive and appears to be running without consuming the cpu at 99%.

Why resume it? Just a guess that it is better to have it running.

Why do this twice? If I do it once only vmtoolsd.exe still consumes the cpu at 99% or 100%.

Do I understand why this works? No.

Does this help the original question? Maybe not as they have the problem with another OS.

HTH someone.

Russell

0 Kudos
RussellBelding
Contributor
Contributor

I have solved this problem to my satisfaction. It is still a problem, as I explain.

Making a Word 2000 Pro VM, by copying from a physical PC, I noticed vmtoolsd.exe was consuming 99-100% of the CPU.

By accident I found using procexp (ver 9.33) I could revert vmtoolsd.exe to "run normal" by 2x(Suspend + Resume) on vmtoolds.exe.

By experiment, if I uninstalled from the VM, Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011 and restarted the CPU, vmtoolsd.exe ran normally.

The app Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010 causes the same problem.

So I could work around the problem in two ways. As I did not need the Paragon App now I use VM Workstation, I uninstalled Paragon.

The "problem" returns if Pargaon is installed into the VM.

0 Kudos