VMware Cloud Community
singhpdeep0007
Contributor
Contributor

vmdk disk extension

Hi All,

I have to extend my C: drive of the Virtual Machine, running Windows 2003. The scenario is like I have two partition C: and 😧 in same .vmdk and C: is boot partition.

Here is my question I would like to extend on C: Drive only without using any thirdparty software and utility. I would like to use on diskpart command from Windows.

Can we do this by attaching this vmdk with another VM (VM Helper) and then using diskpart command from windows 2003 or not

Please send me your views.

Thx, PS

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

this is possible. once you have mounted the expanded C:\ to another virtual machine it would be then recognize as other drive like d:\ or e:\ then you can perform the usual extend command from diskpart.

0 Kudos
singhpdeep0007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Do anyone have any relevant documentation on the same???

Still looking on more reply/respond and clarification on the same.

Thx, PS

0 Kudos
singhpdeep0007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Idle,

Thx for quick reply...actully we have done this with couple of Virtual Machine and we got succes, in that scenario we have only single C: Drive in single .vmdk...

but I'm doing same thing where i have C: & 😧 in single .vmdk and I'm able to extend 😧 and unable to extend C: Drive. So, that why I'm looking the scenario based documents for the same.

Please help me on  this if you have something related to same.

Thx PS

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

The problem is that your C: and 😧 are on the same VMDK, so you are unablke to allocate contiguous space.

I'd suggets that the best way to tmanage this is to use VMware converter to convert the machine to a new machine, and when going through the wizard simply allocate the new sizes that you would like allocated.

The added bonus here is that VMware converter will split your vmdk into 2 seperate vmdks, thus meaning that future expansions can be done as per your previous method.

As an aside, my preference for disk expansions is Dell's tool called EXTPART (a freebie)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
singhpdeep0007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Through VMware Convertor we can do this!!! Actually I would like to do this by using diskpart and extension of disk size.

-PS

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi again - like I said, as your C: has no continous space for the addition of the disk space, you effectively have to move the 😧 to sprovide space for C:.

As such, you can not simply add disk space to the end of the partition and expect windows to be able to reference this as an extension of the C: (using diskpart etc)

You could extend your disk size and extend the 😧 drive in your case, but not the C: - If C: was the only drive on that VMDK, you could do it . . but it is not.

If you want to add space on the same VMDK and just make it accessible to the C:, you could create a mountpoint or similar.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
singhpdeep0007
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks  🙂

PS

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Glad to hear that thing is working fine at your end.

0 Kudos