VMware Cloud Community
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

virtual machine snapshot and paused service

I use VCB to backup virtual machines. This morning when VCB snapshot one of my virtual machines to do a full backup it appears that it paused a service. The machine is a domain controller and it paused the Net Logon service, which is a critical service for a domain controller. Has anybody experienced this issue before. The ESX server is 3.5.0 build 64607 and the vmware tools on the virtual machine are up to date. Additionally, VCB is the latest version. I can't be 100% certain that the vmware tools paused the service, but the timeline of events seems to indicate that the vmware tools did it. The event log of the machine has a couple of informational events from LGTO_Sync, which is vmware tools, and correspond to the time that I have VCB scheduled to backup the virtual machine, and then 45 seconds later there is an event that the Net Logon service is being paused. The VCB backup was successful for the machine.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

open hardware properties inside vm, unhide non-pnp-devices and set the sync driver to inactive. recommended on dc´s and also sql and exchange servers.

best regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
RUG201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What does this setting do and does it have any impact on getting an accurate snapshot? Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

This will disable the vmware tools filesystem sync driver. The sync driver is known to cause issues with vm's running the type of applications previously stated. You should still be able to get an accurate snapshot, but the I/O in memory will not be written to disk before disk has been snapshot'd.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos