VMware Cloud Community
Rajmohan
Contributor
Contributor

virtual machine not booting.

Hello All,

One of my virtual machine is not booting, i have checked all the settings everything is fine, VM is in powered on status but i didnt get any thing on the console, its black.i have tried by restarting the VM but no improvement.as its a production machine i need to resolve the issue ASAP..

i suspect windows boot files may be corrupted, if so how can i recover the machine.. any idea, please advice me..

0 Kudos
4 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

To start with what VMware product are you using? Have you verified that the CD-ROM and Floppy devices are disconnected in the VM's settings.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to start the VM with a bootable CD like this one: http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page? Have you taken a look at the vmware.log file for the VM?

0 Kudos
Rajmohan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Iam using Vmware ESX server 3, and no cdrom or floppy disk is, connected.

i have tried to boot my VM by an windows 2003 ISO image but its not regoganizing the image. i want to know why the VM is not accepting the boot image.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

OK if you are trying to boot from an ISO make sure in your VM's settings that you have Datastore ISO selected and it is mapped to a valid bootable ISO file, also make sure you have "Connected at power on" checked. Then when your VM boots at the VMware BIOS screen hit the ESC key to get the Boot Menu so you can select CD-ROM as your boot device. There is a very short window to hit ESC, what usually works best is to open a remote console window to the VM, power on the VM, hit the Reset button, then quickly click on the window to give it focus and hit the ESX key as soon as the VMware BIOS screen displsys.

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

0 Kudos