VMware Cloud Community
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

viridian on ws6/fusion/esx302 ? anyone?

Hello,

just trying around to get w2008rc0´s viridian running on ws6, fusion and esx 302, all without success.

What I tried:

first after w2008 install, go to c:/windows/wsv and install the two setups.

Then at ad roles theres a new point saying windows server virtualization. You can click it,

it will not install, it says vt support is not found on the actual processor.

NOW i tested this in a brand new dell 2950 with vt enabled cpu´s, works like charm.

But I can´t get it running with virtual machines.

I tested it with fusion on a new mac pro, ws6 on a core2duo machine (vt capable) and esx302 (vt capable cpu, too)- NO success at all. Even the nice little helpers

monitor_control.vt32 = TRUE and the restrict backdoor option didn´t help around here.

NOW: Let´s find this out!

Anyone an idea?

best regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Joerg

I doubt that this will work - you would have to pass VT-support to the VM.

AFAIK this is not possible - even if you use the parameters you mentioned.

mm -maybe using the

SMBIOS.reflectHost = "TRUE"

is worth a try ?

Gruss ins Kloster

Ulli

joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ulli,

you were right, gave it a try but didn´t succeed. Now I wonder what´s happening if I install wsv to a real machine which is capable of vt and then doing a p2v. Now that would be interesting? Smiley Wink Gonna do this sometime next week.

viele Grüße ins Sauerland

Jörg

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you know that Virtual Box has a switch which allows to pass VT to the guest ?

Maybe you can test Viridian in Virtual Box ?

joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

sounds promisingly. I´ll test that!

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

baaaaaaaaa didn´t worked out Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
evilcraig
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying this too. So far no luck. I focused on trying to find out how WS2008 knows that the vCPU in my wkstn6 vista x64 machine doesn't support hardware virtualisation.

My thinking was that if it's querying the registry, I could just change the reg key to the "right value" and off we go.

I used Process Monitor but found nothing.

There are lots of queries to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment which stores all the environment variables.

I did find something intersting. My Vista x64 OS has as its environment variable:

%PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER%=EM64T Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel

It is an Intel Mobile Core2 Duo T7200. When I look at the same env variable I see:

%PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER%=Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel

So it's different. The vCPU isn't the same as the physical CPU.

I installed the OS without the vt32=TRUE switch in the vmx file. I might reinstall it today and see if a clean OS with the vm32=TRUE switch set will give the same %PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER% string as the physical host.

What this makes me think is that it is, by definition, impossible for the VM guest to see the hardware virtualisation of the physical socket.

Here's what I mean: Hardware virtualisation is really just a fancy way of saying "RING -1". Normally there are 3 privilege rings in PCs. When a PC needs to talk to hardware, it sends a request down the privilege rings to RING 0. Hardware Virtulisation means that the OS installed on the physical hardware uses RING -1 to talk to hardware. When a VM is running on that physical host, it is now allowed to see a ring called RING 0, but that RING 0 isn't the lowest in the CPU architecture.

I think Viridian is checking to see if it can see RING -1. It can't see that ring, the lowest ring it can see is RING 0, so it errors.

0 Kudos
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi evilcraig,

any news on this? Did you do your checkout?

best regards

Joerg

0 Kudos
evilcraig
Contributor
Contributor

No dice, nothing worked. It is definitely the case that Viridian needs to be installed on hardware.

0 Kudos