VMware Cloud Community
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

vcbMounter error

Hi !

ESX server 3.0.1. Several VM - win2k3

I do backups of this VMs by vcbMounter (/usr/sbin/vcbMounter -u backup -p xxxxx -a name:"VM1" -r /home/backup_user/mount/ESX_1/VM1) on SMB share.

For the majority of machines backup passes normally. But by the machine with Oracle often interrupts more close by the end. And in current snapshots appears VCB-BACKUP. Why such can occur ?

Tried, as recommend to use pre and post scripts.

pre-freeze-script:

@echo off

net stop OracleServiceDB1

net stop OracleServiceDB2

post-thaw-script:

@echo off

net start OracleServiceDB1

net start OracleServiceDB2

vcbMounter crash right at the beginning (at a stage of take snapshot).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
osde_info
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) can you successfully use vcbMounter and vcbRestore locally on the ESX 3 service console to backup / restore VM to / from /vmfs /vmimages (without using any freeze scripts)

2) can you please point me to any documentation that explains how vcbMounter syncronises redo/delta/diff/snapshot vmdk creation with the guest VM freeze scripts

regards

clive (aka osde.info)

points=prizes

so please click helpful answer or correct answer when appropriate

(but where's the unhelpful button ?)

regards clive http://vizz.info
0 Kudos
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

1) can you successfully use vcbMounter and vcbRestore locally on the ESX 3 service console to backup / restore VM to / from /vmfs /vmimages (without using any freeze scripts)

2) can you please point me to any documentation that explains how vcbMounter syncronises redo/delta/diff/snapshot vmdk creation with the guest VM freeze scripts

regards

clive (aka osde.info)

points=prizes

1)

Basically - yes. Sometimes vcbMounter interrupts approximately on half by machines with oracle.

2)

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vm_backup.pdf

0 Kudos
osde_info
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

many many thanks (i'd seen this but obviously hadn't read it closely enough)

Chapter 2 Page 26 mentions pre-backup and post-backup scripts

while

Chapter 2 Page 40 mentions /usr/sbin/pre-freeze-script and /usr/bin/post-thaw-script

that are used by VCB utilities to quiese the guest os services so you get a more reliable delta / diff / redo / snapshot !

Is there any better way to quiese Oracle 10g DB other than completely stoping it ad starting it ?

regards

clive (aka osde.info)

points=prizes

regards clive http://vizz.info
0 Kudos
str1911
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any better way to quiese Oracle 10g DB other than completely stoping it ad starting it ?

regards

clive (aka osde.info)

points=prizes

I tried symantec backup exec recovery instead of vcbMounter. Works well. The main thing to put its agent small priority on removal of an image of a disk from bases Oracle.

0 Kudos