VMware Cloud Community
Stan_Noel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

v/m NIC won't stay connected

Powered down SAN environment over the weekend. Normal, graceful shutdown using prescribed IPL procedures. Powered back on and all but two v/m are operational. v/m NIC won't stay connected even after selecting and allowing for v/m modification. Both v/m's reside on same ESX host. Have re-installed NIC, changed vlan, disable/enable NIC all without success. All three ESX hosts are operational. All v/m's on host (except the two) are operational.

SAN: EMC Clariion CX3-10, Dell PE 6850/R900 systems, ESX 3.5.0 123630, VMware Tools v123630, Guest O/S W2K3 R2 SP2 Std Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried removing NIC and adding new one?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Stan_Noel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, w/o success. Have disabled/enabled NIC (error 4703 in event viewer) and changed vlan. All w/o success. The ESX host servicing the problematic v/m's also holds 23 other v/m's with no problems. Just these two.

Thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you setting the MAC address inside the guest OS? Try modifying your vSwitch policies to allow forged transmits and mac address changes.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Stan_Noel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, I'm allowing the ESX host to set the MAC address.

Looking at the vSwitch, both settings for Forged Transmits and MAC Address Changes are set to Accept.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How many ports are on your vSwitch? If you shut one vm down, will one of these other vm's NIC come up?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
Stan_Noel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Got it fixed. Changed the number of ports on vSwitch to 56 and reset host. Both v/m's are running great. Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No problem.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos
vm-au-user
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does the mean that the ports across all switches need to be identical. I'm having the same issue.

When I edit the virtual machine and select 'connect' for the nic, its save the setting but if I got back into edit setting it show the settings didn't stick.

0 Kudos