VMware Cloud Community
sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

unable to install XP Boot CD

Hi, I have installed latest Java VM player (free) and set the Bios to boot from CD. However JVM states that it cannot find boot device and subsequently "Operating System Not found".

I have searched online and through these forums, but as new to JVM I am unabel to find a solution. Any suggestions appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware workstation has a lot more features, but VMware Server is free. Personally, I think that VMware Workstation is well worth the money.

And, yes, with either product you can configure the two VMs running Windows XP (or other OS) with their own IP address, and you'll be able to connect to them via Remote Desktop.

Enjoy virtualization!!!

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Check the VM's CD - I bet that it is not configured as "Connected at Power On". Make sure "Connected at Power On" (configured within the settings of the VirtualMachine) is checked.

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How exactly do I check that. Is there a menu option or is this doen in the VM bios?

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just re-read your question - If you are using VM Player, you can't create Virtual Machines.

You'll have to create the VM using VMware Workstation or VMware Server to create the VM.

VMware Server is free; you can also download a 30-day evaluation of VMware Workstation.

###############

0 Kudos
sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, that expplains it. Any sugestions on which product to use.

I would like to have two VMs running with Windows XP simoultaneously on my server. Will each of these XP's have their own unique IP address allocated from my DHCP server, and should I be able to connect to them using remote desktop?

Thaaks for advice.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMware workstation has a lot more features, but VMware Server is free. Personally, I think that VMware Workstation is well worth the money.

And, yes, with either product you can configure the two VMs running Windows XP (or other OS) with their own IP address, and you'll be able to connect to them via Remote Desktop.

Enjoy virtualization!!!

###############

0 Kudos
sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help Vitualdud3. I find the whole virtualization conecpt to be quite amazing.

I was trying to follow this article. Were they incorrect with the use of VMware player? http://www.technibble.com/how-to-create-a-windows-xp-virtual-machine/

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I hadn't seen that link before.

When you create a VM, the VM's disks are created as .vmdk files and the VM conifguration is saved in the .vmx file. That is what you download from the link into the VMware Player.

To get the VMs linked on the site working, try changing the ".vdmk" extension to ".vmdk"; this should work for you.

You can also download a wide variety of pre-configured virtual appliances here:

###############

0 Kudos
sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, I tried that earlier. I have decided to follow your advice and download a trial of VMWare Workstation. I need the capability to access both the virtualized XP machines simoultaneously over a network connection.

It will be interesting to see how VMware handles this. I just installed Microsoft's Virtual PC and it will not allow a simultaneous network connection with my main desktop PC and the virtual XP.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Good deal; I find that VMware Workstation is absolutely worth every penny.

When you create the VMs, make sure you select the network type to "Bridged" - this will make the VMs' nics as though they were plugged-in to the physical network.

###############

sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, so I just installed VMware Workstation. But I am not having any success getting into the BIOS to change the boot order. Pressing F2 and ESC repeatedly but assume that the keyboard is not being caputred yet. Any other method to enter th BIOS to change boot order?

0 Kudos
sjan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally into the BIOS after many false attempts. I then had to assign drive E to the CD rom in the settings before the VM was loaded. Now after an exhausting few hours running the Win XP setup.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos