VMware Cloud Community
davisr65
Contributor
Contributor

unable to detect hard drive in my xp pro install

After successfully installing 3 different microsoft os's, im now attempting to install windows xp pro, but running into issues.... i create the vm and let VMware detect all the hardware on the host, as i did with the other guest os's, when i get to the point where im installing XP, the installation does not see the hard drive.... so i compared the hardware settings to my other Guest os's, and notice a difference.... the controller is seen as a buslogic controller in the XP vm that i created, while the other vm's that work see the controller as an LSI logic controller, which i know that is what is intalled on my host,... so i edited the xp vm and changed the controller to LSI, and it still does not recognize my virtual disk i created....(note, when i manually changed it to the LSI adapter, an error popped up stating their is an adapter mismatch error and was prompted to put it back to buslogic.).... so either adapter did not work.....

any recommendations?.....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
twoodland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You need to download the scsi drivers disk from vmware's site and when booting into the XP installation, hit 'F6' to specify additional drivers.

The drivers can be found at: http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html (bottom of page)

You will have to mount this image as a floppy and connected at boot-up. You might have to force your virtual machine into the bios and tell it to boot from cd-rom first.

0 Kudos
davisr65
Contributor
Contributor

excellent, thank you....

have a nice holiday..

rob davis

0 Kudos
davisr65
Contributor
Contributor

I have an issue... i dont have a floppy drive on the host...... i did notice "create a floppy image in a datastore'' is this the answer?........ if so, how do i utilize this feature?

thanks

0 Kudos
davisr65
Contributor
Contributor

i managed to point to the floppy image by creating the virtual floppy, and hit F6, it saw the VMware SCSI controller, but was still unable to see the HD after this......

?

0 Kudos
davisr65
Contributor
Contributor

I did get it working..... if forgot to point the vm session back to the buslogic controller then it worked...

thanks again...

rob davis

0 Kudos
twoodland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you mark my reply as the correct answer? Thanks.

0 Kudos