VMware Cloud Community
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

time is off for linux VM

Hello,

I have a linux VM that consistently loses time. I have the tools running inside of it and its configuration says to sync time with the host. The host's time is correct and it is set up for NTP. What else could the problem be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you a NTP Server? Have you UTC=True ? Your Firewall is open ?

0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

Your questions are pretty general and somewhat confusing. Sorry, I have to ask some questions.

1) What should be using an NTP server? Both hosts are configured to use NTP. The virtual machines are NOT configured to use NTP.

2) Where do I set UTC=true? The vmx file? If that's the case, there isn't a UTC option in that file right now.

3) The firewall should be open from where to where? If you are referring to NTP from the hosts, it is open. The time on the hosts is correct.

Thanks,

Terry

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look at this:

Title: Clock in a Linux Guest Runs More Slowly or Quickly Than Real Time

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1420

0 Kudos
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You speak into your first message (NTP) ?

UTC is in the /etc/sysconfig/clock file

0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

That KB article doesn't appear to apply to ESX but I performed the grub update anyways. It is still running faster than the host. Here is my /etc/sysconfig/clock:

ZONE="America/Chicago"

UTC=true

ARC=false

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Vmware recommends adter Vmware Tools is installed to synchronize the VM clock to the Service Console and not rely on time synchronization within the VM - for detailed informaiton check out this PDF - pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

I have set clock=pit in the kernel and it is still gaining time. I am not running NTP in the virtual machine and I have the following in the vmx:

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What physical hardware is this ESX host installed on?

0 Kudos
td3201
Contributor
Contributor

Dell 1950. The host seems to be keeping time.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 23

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz

stepping : 6

cpu MHz : 2992.591

cache size : 6144 KB

fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 10

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm nx lm

bogomips : 5976.88

0 Kudos
francois_tiers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You problem isn't into your guest configuration ?

0 Kudos