VMware Cloud Community
LukasF
Contributor
Contributor

"network copy failed for file" adding host to datacenter

hi all,

i've recently set up a esx-in-a-box and after various trials and tribulations, i seem to be getting onto the right track. i followed the white papers on xtravirt.com in regards to installing esx 3.5 on workstation 6.

when i try and add my esx host to the datacenter in VI Client, i get an error "Network copy failed for file. C:\program files\VMware\infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\upgrade\vpx-upgrade-esx-7-linux-64192.sig". the file is there in the location, but i guess that its having trouble copying it to somewhere. where is it copying to?

can anybody shed any light on this problem i'm experiencing, and known resolution? many thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Please have a look at this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/126900

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
LukasF
Contributor
Contributor

i had a look at that threat you posted, thanks Gerrit, it did give me some insight. i'm not running VC in a VM, however, i am running it on the physical box, and running esx within a VM on workstation 6.

i was able to ping to and from both VC and ESX (using the command line) and also, as i'm not using a DNS server, have edited the hosts files on both accordingly.

is there anything else possible to try?

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Try shutting off the firewall on the ESX host with the command service firewall stop within the Service Console. Then retry your work.

Datto

0 Kudos
LukasF
Contributor
Contributor

i tried shutting off the firewall, retried and ended up getting the same error! prior to this, i had also allowed both incoming and outgoing ports on esx host

any other suggestions? can i manually copy the files over, and if so, where do i copy them to? (i looked in the other post, and it doesnt state where to copy them to)

thanks

0 Kudos