VMware Cloud Community
ESXNewby
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"error encountered trying to restore cpu state" when go to snapshot

Hi.

I hope somebody can assist me with my problem.

We have purchased two new ESX host servers.

Last night I replaced our 2 old ESX hosts with the new onces (from 2cpu to quad core cpu). Before the move I did shutdown all VM's.

Now when I try to startup any VM's with snapshots I receive the following error message "error encountered trying to restore CPU state from file xxx.vmsn"

I did edit the xxx.vmx and remove the "checkpoint.vmstate" but when i want to revert to another snapshot, the information is just put back in the file.

Any way I can fix these snapshots?

The only way I can current think of doing this is to either delete all snapshots which would be only my last option or perform the following task which will take a very long time:

• revert snapshot (receive error)

• edit the vmx file and remove the "checkpoint.vmstate"

• start vm which works correctly

• delete snapshot

-recreate snapthot

Any better way of doing this would really be appreciated!

Thanks

Johann

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I faced the same problem while migrating virtual machines with existing snapshots from 2 CPU host to 8 CPU ESX host. Is this a bug or thats not supported at the moment?

During the workaround does the state of the virtual machine is lost while powering on the VM after editing the vmx file? When I edited the vmx file and powered on the virtual machine I saw that the vm rebooted instead of being in powered on state as it was in when snapshot was captured.

My apologies for bringing alive an old thread !

0 Kudos