VMware Cloud Community
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

"The virtual machine has no virtual disks that are suitable for ..."

... customization". This error is displayed at 96% when I try to clone (or create from template) a machine with customization. ESX 3.0.1 and VIC 2.0.1.

After searching this forum I've tried removing floppy- and CD/DVD-drives but still the same error. It works if I clone without customizing, but that's really not an option ...

Has anyone found a solution to this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DLevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using a pre-defined customzation, or are you customizing on the fly using the wizard?

Are you using a Windows Guest OS? If so, have you made any modifications to the sysprep vbs script in the VC server?

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

What OS is your VI Client on? Vista (has/makes) some troubles with customization. Other things beside that work fine. Just a thought ...

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm using a pre-defined customization, for a Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard installation. I haven't made any modifications to sysprep, should I do that?

EDIT: Checked the logs on the VC server and found several error messages that I think are concurrent with my attempts to clone and customize machines:

"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Image Editing\vmount2.exe ) \[...] Vmount2.Vmount2Disk: last partition extends past end of disk (1044:1043)."

and

"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\VMware Virtual Image Editing\vmount2.exe ) cannot be found. \[...] Vmount2.Vmount2Disk2: Cannot access layout on disk."

Tried searching the forum again but did not find anything related to Vmount2.Vmount2Disk. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VIC on a swedish Windows XP SP2 client. No other problems other than customization.

0 Kudos
DLevine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you can deploy a VM from this template without trouble when you don't use the pre-defined customization?

--

Also - it was mentioned above.. make sure you are not running the VI client on Vista...

And also - sometimes strange things can happen when deploying from templates - but if you convert the template back to a VM and then back to a template again sometimes that fixes it.

Also - have you tried re-creating your pre-defined customization?

Message was edited by:

DLevine

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

Does it work from another Workstation and/or directly on Virtual Center Server?

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried running VI directly on the VC server, both with the original customization and a new one and I get the same error every time. Even tried "on the fly" customization, no improvement.

Cloning without customization works every time.

It looks like a virtual disk problem to me, the error dialog says "has no virtual disks" and the log entries on the VC Server say "last partition extends past end of disk (1044:1043)". I'll contact VMWare and see if it's a known bug.

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

I've been in contact with VMWare and during troubleshooting we discovered that the partition (created with diskpart) extended past the end of the physical disk. It looks like the bug isn't in VMWare but in diskpart (from WinPE 2.0), which allows you to create a partition that is roughly 650 kB past the end of the physical (virtual) disk. For some reason diskpart creates a 1 MB offset, which pushes the end of the partition past the last cylinders of the disk.

It's an easy fix, just make sure that diskpart creates a partition that is < (physical disk size - 3) MB and you should be OK.

The error message ("last partition extends past end of disk") turned out to be absolutely spot on, imagine that ... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

After some testing there are indications that the problem with diskpart is unique to virtual machines ... could be a VMWare problem after all.

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the problem still exists but VMWare won't look into it since I am running diskpart in Windows PE 2.0 (before starting installation of Windows Server 2003), which is not a supported guest OS. It is based on Windows Vista, which is also not a supported guest OS.

No point in reporting the problem to Microsoft either since I can't reproduce it on a physical machine.

As long as Vista is unsupported there are basically two workarounds:

1. Never use diskpart (WinPE/Vista version) to make a partition that fills the entire disk, make sure it is several MB smaller.

2. Don't use VMWare, use physical machines or maybe Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 (when available).

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

After some more testing I've been able to reproduce the problem on a physical machine, looks like it is a Microsoft problem.

0 Kudos
daniellindgren
Contributor
Contributor

The solution is here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931761

It's not the same problem that I had, but it solved my problem too.

0 Kudos
evilcraig
Contributor
Contributor

This is possibly the best posting I have ever seen, anywhere. Thanks Daniel for following up your own post.

I was in the same position.

Our PXE server (BDD2007) had built our new gold master templates. It used diskpart to create the disks in PE 2 and I couldn't use the templates.

I manually built a server as a template, and the problem was solved.

Thanks.

0 Kudos