VMware Cloud Community
mikey2mikey
Contributor
Contributor

quick way to boot virtual machine on dynamic disk - Status: 0xc000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

Hello.

I have a client running Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit, of course)

Using replication software called FalconStor I have time marks of his server and I am attempting to build a virtual server from the time marks, something I do all the time for Windows 2008, 2003 and 2000 clients.

The issue is his C: drive is software mirrored and dynamic. Whenever I try booting it tells m

because a required device is inaccessible"

I have tried a number of things e.g. diskpart, FixBCD but no success.

I know that dynamic disks are supposed to be unbootable ordinarily. Is there a quick manner to create a basic boot device in VMWare ESXi 4 using VSphere 4.

A hurricane is bearing down their path and we really want to ensure I can fail them over.

Mike

"

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi mikey,

Not to sure if you have seen this KB article already, but you could check out Microsoft KB article 2261423 which can be viewed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2261423

It does provide some information concerning restoring Windows 2008 systems, which if nothing else, it may prove to be insightful.

You could also try the following... (Of course you test this on a copy of the virtual machine, so don't further break the original virtual machine)

1.Reboot the virtual machine from the Windows 2008 installation CD.

2.Click Repair your computer to allow Windows 2008 to repair itself.

3.Take a backup of the .vmdk file.

4.From the command prompt, execute:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Note: Select Yes for any prompts.

5.Reboot the virtual machine normally.

Another last ditch effort would be trying VMware Converter against this virtual machine, as by default VMware Converter only turns dynamic disks into basic disks.

Hope you get somewhere with one of the above methods.

Regards,

Graham Daly

Knowledge Champion

VMware Inc.

0 Kudos