tdubb123
Expert
Expert

p2v file server in domain

i am thinking of p2ving this server i have on my domain

it has c drive: 30gb

d drive: 200gb

e: 150gb

is it better to run vm converter on a remote machine or local on this server? will ther be problems cloning it when it boots up? anything special i need to do to assign the virtual hard drives?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The big thing to watch out for is the block size on your destination ESX server, the default VMFS block size of 1MB only supports virtual disks up to 256GB in size. If you run Converter and do not re-size your disks it will try and create a single vmdk file of 380GB containing all 3 partitions. So if your block size is 1MB this will not work, you can also not change your VMFS volume block size to increase this without destroying the volume and re-creating it. So if this is the case I would suggest either re-sizing the drives when you run Converter if you have the free space on the source drives so it is under 256GB total. Or run converter multiple times for each partition so it creates separate vmdk files. You could run it once and only select the C and D drives and it will create a VM with a 230GB vmdk file with both paritions. You could then run it a second time on just the E drive then once it completes move the vmdk file to the first VM's directory and add it as an additional drive then delete the 2nd VM that converter creates.

I always prefer to run it locally on the physical server to be converted but it will really make no difference whether you run it locally or remotely.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks, Eric

Visit my website:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

0 Kudos