VMware Cloud Community
Eager2learn
Contributor
Contributor

oem/volume license and vmware converter

Hello,

I need your input on the following. I am involved in a project to virtualise some of our old servers. The problem is that some of the servers have the OEM license that came along the machine. If we have purchased a volume license can i use that volume license instead of the OEM during or after the conversion . I plan to use P2V ?

I don't want to violate the license agreement . So i want to know if it's possible to do a P2v and still use the new volume license instead of the OEM .

Your input is greatly appreciated.

EA

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think in order to do this you need to an inplace upgrade. then once you are on the VLK you can then use P2V just fine.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Eager2learn
Contributor
Contributor

Stephen,

You said " think in order to do this you need to an inplace upgrade. then once you are on the VLK you can then use P2V just fine.".

Pls elaborate more. When you say in place upgrade are you saying i need to reinstall the OS with the new license key then do a P2V ?

Thx.

EA

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EA,

you would "upgrade" to the same verision ie if you are running windows 2003 server oem, you would then upgrade with windows 2003 server vlk.

one thing if you have service pack installed make sure you are useing windows 2003 server WITH the same service pack installed on it.

Stephen

0 Kudos