VMware Cloud Community
gkodessa
Contributor
Contributor

odd error message while transfering through winSCP

Hi,

i have some machines that i've copied over from one esx server to my local machine, i'm now trying to move them to another esx server, WinSCP goes all the way to the end, 99% and then kicks out the following attached massage (see picture)

i'm transfering to vmfs/volumes same place as all of the machines i've imported to using vmconverter, there is no directory with the same name as the one i'm transfering so it's not a file exist conflict... any idea what's going on? i've tried to manually rename the file but am getting the same error message...

thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have the appropriate the permissions required to make modifications to that VMFS datastore?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
gkodessa
Contributor
Contributor

logged in as root, so i'd assume i am, i'm able to transfer other files into

that dir...

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:34 PM, mittim12 <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Did you convert or clone the vmdk into 2 gb chunks with vmkfstools -i /vmfs/volumes/VMFSDRIVE/SERVERNAME/SERVERNAME.vmdk -d 2gbsparse /vmimages/servername

before you used winscp to copy it out of the host?

0 Kudos
gkodessa
Contributor
Contributor

no, i haven's is this something i need to do?

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Chamon <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The File transfer was complete, but it was unable to rename the file. This has happened to me in the past as well. I just renamed the file it referneced, and I was all good.

If you are using 3.5 there is an upload\download feature built in.

0 Kudos
gkodessa
Contributor
Contributor

tried renaming, got the same error message

0 Kudos
jgalexan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Log into the host directly via putty (or another ssh tool) and change the name. By default ssh as root is disabled, so you would have to log in as a user and su -. the "-" gives you the full login as root. You will then have rights to change file names.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Transferring a disk directly to a VMFS datastore is NOT a good practice.

Export the disk to the 2gb sparse format, transfer the pieces to an ext3 filesystem, then import it to the VMFS datastore.

0 Kudos
kukacz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When connecting using WinSCP, choose the "SCP" protocol instead of the default "SFTP".

However, it is really not wise copying this way, the VMFS gets fragmented especially when multiple file operations occur at the same time on the same VMFS volume.

--

Lukas Kubin

0 Kudos
Luke_J_Smith
Contributor
Contributor

I found the answer here - http://www.benway.net/2007/10/03/student-tip-stopping-winscp-filepart-errors/

To disable the WinSCP “Resume” feature do the following:

In the menu choose, Options and Preferrences

Under Transfer, select Resume

Under “Enable transfer resume for”, select Disable

Under “Automatic Reconnect“, disable “Automatic reconnect session, if it breaks during transfer“

0 Kudos
IanMercado
Contributor
Contributor

When following the advice on this thread to use the ESX Infrastructure Client software to upload instead of WinSCP, I found that my transfer bandwidth leapt from only 20% of utilization to 65% utilization of my 100Mbps connection. So given that speed of upload is vastly superior using the ESX IC, I doubt I'll be going back to WinSCP anytime soon.

0 Kudos