VMware Cloud Community
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

newbie question: move a workstation version vm to VI3

Hi there, I know this is a real newbie question. Since I don't have a backup of this vm, I don't want to mess it up. Is Vmware Converter sufficient to handle this transferring? The vm is a Linux OS on a windows workstation, also it is 200G big. Anybody can explain how to proceed without any risk? Do I need to shut down the vm first?

Thanks, EH

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Well, backing the VM up is always a good idea, even though the Converter does not change anything from the source VM. Shut down the VM, tell Converter the Path to the source VM, select destination ESX and start. Afterward, you should reinstall the VMWare tools.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Well, backing the VM up is always a good idea, even though the Converter does not change anything from the source VM. Shut down the VM, tell Converter the Path to the source VM, select destination ESX and start. Afterward, you should reinstall the VMWare tools.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Vmware conveter will not harm the source vm in any way so a backup would not be required, yes you need to shut down the source vm.

jitendrakmr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you do a cold migration (powering off VM and booting it with VMWare Converter CD) using VMware Conveter then the source VM is not affected at all however with this method sometimes VMware converter gives error saying that "unknown/unrecognized operating system of source machine" then in that case you will probably need other methods like ghosting the source disks first and use ghost images of source disk for further migration etc to move this VM to VI3.

Thanks.

Jitendra Kumar

MCSE 2003, VCP, CCNA, ITIL Foundation

VCP, MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Admin, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, Netapp NS0-153 (Storage Networking) Personal Website - http://www.virtualizationtrainings.com, http://www.hillsindia.com
eagleh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all! To be safe, I may try cold migration.

If you found this information useful, please kindly consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos