VMware Cloud Community
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

need help with guest OS urgent !

a fiber cable went bad from the san to the switch this morning. I changed the cable and tried to reboot the fileserver. When I did it said couldn't start b/c of a snapshot issue.

None the less I rebooted the esx server and the VM is still in a hung state i think because it still says powering off in progress and doesn't give me any options to power on/off migrate.

I noticed it automatically migrated to another esx and i think thats where the snapshotting error came from . cause my paths are not setup correctly.

any help !!

0 Kudos
21 Replies
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

looking into it futher .. looks like the esx server is saying configuration issues HA agent disabled and none of the machines have any options.

0 Kudos
DheereshLodhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you have snapshot enabled for any VM it doen't vmotion from one esx to other. I think there is snapshot enabled on your vm and that's the reason it hasn't vmotioned to other esx.

I would suggest not to use snapshot in clustering environment or otherwise you will face same issue again.

to fix your current issue you have to reboot you VM.

Regards

Dheeresh Lodhi

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

it may be a vCenter management agent issue.

at the service console of the host in question type:

>service vmware-vpxa restart

One a side now, you really should consider adding your hosts with FQDN

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

i dont have snapshotting enabled.

When i rebooted the ESX host it does come up but says configuration error in HA. It doesn't let me start any of the VM's on that host.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
DheereshLodhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. You have to check weather HA is enabled on your cluser or not.

1. check service vmware-vpxa restart, also check host d service

1. Try re-adding host again in VC by FQDN name

Dheeresh Lodhi

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

1. You have to check weather HA is enabled on your cluser or not.

HA is enabled. The other 3 hosts are in HA

1. check service vmware-vpxa restart, also check host d service

i restarted the vmware-vpxa service. How do I check the host d service?

1. Try re-adding host again in VC by FQDN name

It won't let me add it b/c its already there. I've added the dns entires already in the /etc/hosts file.

0 Kudos
DheereshLodhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

service mgmt-vmware restart -

for Host d

service vmware-vpxa start----

for managment service

for adding host again in cluster you have to remove it and then add it back

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

it doesn't give me the option to remove the host .. look at the options in the screenshot above.

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

i think its hungup .. b/c under active tasks its still saying reboot host, enter maintenance mode.

I tried to do it through vi client and it was all hungup .. so i rebooted host through putty.

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

dheeresh can u call me at 604-309-9241 please.

0 Kudos
DheereshLodhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

from above screen shot it is clear that your host is not communicating properly with VC Server.

You please try service vmware-vpxa stop and then start or restart if this doen't help then try servie mgmt-vmware restart or stop and then start

Alos, check permission as well just to make sure.

if this wont help let me know

0 Kudos
DheereshLodhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MY CELL m: +91.987.3919.817

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

tried to remove from cluster and getting mesage you have to put into maitenance mode first .. call me i dont have your number.

0 Kudos
DheereshLodhi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please check 902 port is enabled on that host or not if not then enable it and restart vpxa service

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

port 902 outbound is enabled.

I am shutting it down for 5-10 minutes. The server itself looks like its OK but VI is showing it in a hung state from 1 hour ago. Still showing Tasks that are in progress for rebooting that host which I tried one hour ago. How can I reset the vi client?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

How can I reset the vi client?

restart your vCenter Server service.

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

i have restarted the vmware vi services and it has cleared the hung state . the server has been restarted .. wait and see

0 Kudos
Muralirajan
Contributor
Contributor

Check out LUN presentation for this host. It should be presented as the same ID on all the host.

Is there any LVM alert in "/var/log/vmkernle" ?

0 Kudos