VMware Cloud Community
maxtoscano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i can not create a new virtual machine , for "invalid state" error of vmware

hi , i have a esx server vmware , with some virtual machines of production ;

yestarday i did a new virtual machine , linux suse , froma cdrom ; but the filesystem is crashed , it was corrupted , i dont know why ,

and i had to cancel the machine using "remove from the disk" ;

after i could read "a general system error occurred" and when i do click on create a new virtual machine (ctrl + n) , i can not becouse the answer is "invalid state"

when i click in every virtual machine in "events" , i dont see the logs , i see this errore "a general system error occurred"

somebody can help me ? , must i restart service mgmt-vmware ? (init.d) on the host server ?

thanks in advance , best regards

max toscano

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are using Virtual Center, rebbot VC server and try again. If that don't work, you may need to reboot ESX host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are using Virtual Center, rebbot VC server and try again. If that don't work, you may need to reboot ESX host.

0 Kudos
maxtoscano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi , thnks !

do you intend reboot the console vm client esx ?

ok i can do .. but every virtual machine will be rebooted , yes ?

i have to advice users ;

0 Kudos
Rao
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, reboot from console or VC client. Shutdown all guests ( If you don't have HA capacity) and put ESX host in maintenance mode before rebooting. Once you reboot ESX host, remove mainteancne mode and power on all guests...

0 Kudos
maxtoscano
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

maybe i dont understand this maintenance mode ; what does it mean ?

the host ?

before to do the reboot , i have to put in power off every single vm machine ?

2009/11/4 Rao <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

A new message was posted in the thread "i can not create a new virtual machine , for "invalid state" error of vmware":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1408836#1408836

Author : Rao

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/Rao

0 Kudos