VMware Cloud Community
czh09
Contributor
Contributor

how to connect to guest machine, so that i can transfer files over?

hi.. i current have VMWare Workstation installed on my Windows XP Desktop (Host). The guest installed on my VMWare is Solaris 10. I would like to copy some files over to the guest solaris 10 "machine".

I have done my search on google, but the results returned has only confused me. can anyone help me? this is the first time i'm using vmware, and I have little or not knowledge on how to do this.

thanks! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
13 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - you could treat your VM like a regular Solaris box and use SCP -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
czh09
Contributor
Contributor

hi.. i tried to use scp command, but it says "Network is unreachable."

i cant seem to ping any of the machines on the network too.

0 Kudos
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What kind of Network connection are you using? You can check this by clicking on "edit virtual machine setting" and selecting your network adapter.

Try bridged and see if it works for you.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ernestsaadat
0 Kudos
czh09
Contributor
Contributor

hi... i tried to use Bridge already. this is what i see when i do a ifconfig.

i'm still new to unix environment. understand that 127.0.0.1 is localhost. is this normal? how do i assign an ip address to the guest instance?

#ifconfig -a

lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 indix 1

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

0 Kudos
czh09
Contributor
Contributor

hi... i tried to use Bridge already. this is what i see when i do a ifconfig.

i'm still new to unix environment. understand that 127.0.0.1 is localhost. is this normal? how do i assign an ip address to the guest instance?

#ifconfig -a

lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 indix 1

inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

0 Kudos
NedeianuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A quick fix would be to use Folder2Iso:

The software transforms a folder into an Iso file whitch you can then mount into the VM. It's shareware and it's very fast.

NedeianuV MCP,VCP
0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

it seems your network within this VM is not working. This VM should have eth0 interface configured with proper IP.

check these hints: http://www.google.nl/search?q=solarisconfigurenetwork+interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

if you have running network inside VM, then you can do scp, or setup ftp or whatever.

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
czh09
Contributor
Contributor

hi.. i assume your link was with reference to http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/805-8056/6j7itj0gv?a=view ?

this is what i did and what was shown.

1. prtconf | grep instance

scsi_vhci, instance #0

isa, instance #0

i8042, instance #0

keyboard, instance #0

mouse, instance #0

asy, instance #0 (driver not attached)

asy, instance #1 (driver not attached)

fdc, instance #0

fd, instance #0

pci, instance #0

pci8086,7191, instance #0

pci-ide, instance #0

ide, instance #0

cmdk, instance #0

ide, instance #1

sd, instance #16

display, instance #0

pci15ad,1976, instance #0

pci15ad,790, instance #1

pci15ad,750, instance #0 (driver not attached)

pci1274,1371, instance #0

pci15ad,7a0, instance #0

pci15ad,7a0, instance #1

pci15ad,7a0, instance #2

pci15ad,7a0, instance #3

pci15ad,7a0, instance #4

pci15ad,7a0, instance #5

pci15ad,7a0, instance #6

pci15ad,7a0, instance #7

pci15ad,7a0, instance #8

pci15ad,7a0, instance #9

pci15ad,7a0, instance #10

pci15ad,7a0, instance #11

pci15ad,7a0, instance #12

pci15ad,7a0, instance #13

pci15ad,7a0, instance #14

pci15ad,7a0, instance #15

pci15ad,7a0, instance #16

pci15ad,7a0, instance #17

pci15ad,7a0, instance #18

pci15ad,7a0, instance #19

pci15ad,7a0, instance #20

pci15ad,7a0, instance #21

pci15ad,7a0, instance #22

pci15ad,7a0, instance #23

pci15ad,7a0, instance #24

pci15ad,7a0, instance #25

pci15ad,7a0, instance #26

pci15ad,7a0, instance #27

pci15ad,7a0, instance #28

pci15ad,7a0, instance #29

pci15ad,7a0, instance #30

pci15ad,7a0, instance #31

iscsi, instance #0

pseudo, instance #0

options, instance #0

xsvc, instance #0

objmgr, instance #0

cpu, instance #0 (driver not attached)

next, i tried:

1. ls /etc/hostname*

/etc/hostname*: No such file or directory

cant seem to find the hostname file or folder...

1. pwd

/etc

1. ls -l host*

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Sep 30 10:55 hosts -> ./inet/hosts

i believe i do not have any interface like eth0 configured.

as you can see, i'm totally new to unix and vmware. pls guide me along... thanks!

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Sorry, I don't have any Unix knowledge. I don't know why you installed Solaris, when you can't configure network interface.Can't you use normal linux box? If Unix is still needed, then you should take a look into below links to create network inside VM (and assign IP)

This link should be helpful in configuring network interface: Unix Network 2

unix network 3

So first thing you must do is to setup your unix VM to have network (so this VM should PING to internet like www.google.com etc). Then you will be able to connect to this box.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

initally u have to assign a ip to the eth0 interface of ur solaris machine which is right now not configured and then u can use WinScp utility to copy the files....

u can download WinScp from this link

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
czh09
Contributor
Contributor

hi... how do i assign an ip to the eth0 interface?

i cant see this eth0 when i'm doing a ifconfig -a

i think this is the major problem.

i managed to copy from host to guest by installing VMWare Tools. then all i had to do was copy and paste between the panels.

however, the problem is still not solved, my guest instance is still unable to access the network...

0 Kudos
pramodupadhyay5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just check this http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/networking_2ndEd/tcp/ch06_01.htm

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Well unless you properly setup this eth0 or other interface in solaris, you won't be abke to do these actions.

Why did you choose Solaris? Did you work with this OS before? Probably someone here with Solaris experience would need to help you, coz it seems it has different configurations than normal linux os.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos