VMware Cloud Community
JayGregory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

error loading operating system on VM

I recently used the VMWare Converter Standalone Client 4.01 to p2v my own Windows XP SP3 machine and import it into our ESXi 4.0 server. The conversion completes without any errors but when I try to boot the VM, it says "error loading operating system."

This is the first time I've used the converter, so any advice here?

Thanks, Jay

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use the entire disk function.

Also remember to change the disk from IDE to scsi, i dont remember where is that option but i have seen it causing issues with p2v migrations.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you copy the entire disk or a single partition?

JayGregory
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh wow, is it that simple? I guess I copied the entire disk, which has two partitions: the primary, and a 47 MB FAT32 partition (which I didn't really know about until I checked just now). Should I retry just copying the primary partiion?

Thanks,

Jay

0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use the entire disk function.

Also remember to change the disk from IDE to scsi, i dont remember where is that option but i have seen it causing issues with p2v migrations.

0 Kudos