VMware Cloud Community
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

error: The specified key, name of identifier already exists

Hi Guys,

I get this error message when I attempt to create a VM with a specific name (let's use db01 as the name). I tried to create the VM while connected through Virtual Center and while connected directly to the ESX host.

This host is 3.0.1. Where can I start to troubleshoot?

Background: We are upgrading from ESX 2.5.4 to ESX 3.0.1. I have 2 VMs running on ESX2.x - db01 & db02. db02 was created by copying the vmdk of db01 and renaming/re-iping the Guest OS. Anyway, I was able to dmotion db02 to the new environment and it is working fine.

But when I tried to dmotion the db01 server, I got a very vague error. So I tried a cold migration, it seemed like the system copied al of the vmdk's over, but when it tried to create the VM on the new host, I got this error.

I have gotten around the problem by using a different name for this VM, but I would like to know why this particular name is causing problems. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wobbly1
Expert
Expert

check the vmx file of db02 to ensure that there are no references in there to db01

0 Kudos
Mayur_Patel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no references to db01 in the vmx or the vmxf file for db02

0 Kudos
craiglawyer
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem. Is anyone SQL-saavy enough to determine if this is a database problem? I updated VC to 2.01 patch 2 but it did not correct the problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jae_Ellers
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if you haven't disconnected for a while I'd suggest the following:

1. Log out

2. Restart the vc agent on the host

3. Restart VC

4. Log back in.

I've seen the client or agent appear to cache info that isn't current and cause problems like this.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- http://blog.mr-vm.com http://www.vmprofessional.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
0 Kudos
vmware-support1
Contributor
Contributor

I ended up migrating the guest to another ESX server and starting the cloning process. It worked after that.

BTW - If anybody wants to know the SQL Query that gives you the info on the guests here it is:

select *

from VPX_ENTITY, VPX_VM

where VPX_Entity.ID = VPX_VM.ID order by vPX_Entity.ID

It must be ran against the VCDB database.

0 Kudos